View post (right hand technique)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/02/2005 12:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Jacktheone
1st- There is no right way, it's mainly a matter of choosing a way that is right with you and go on practicing and building a fine personal technique.

2nd- But 'till now I've been holding the pick with little consistency, mainly with the tips of my thumb and index fingers, and now I've found that holding it with the thumb and the index finger bent towards the palm of my hand and the other fingers closed (as a fist) it feels quite more controlled.

3rd- Should this right hand be anchored in some way? I used to put the fifth finger below the first string.

Any tip? Thanks.

J

I hold the pick the same way as you, using small teardrop jazz picks. I alternate between hard and medium gauge, and hold the pick with the tip extended only a little when playing leads. This allows me to get artificial harmonics easily if I want. I find using the hard pick when practicing makes it easier to play when I switch to the medium. The hard pick forces me to be more exact.

As to hand placement, it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm strumming chords, the pick out comes out a bit more, and I generally don't anchor my hand when chording- I say generally, cuz I hybrid pick, so I sometimes hit a chord with the pick while plucking the strings with my remaining pick-hand fingers.
Same with lead work; sometimes I mute the strings with my palm, and lately, I've found I hardly ever anchor my hand with my pinky as you mentioned. I hybrid pick also when playing leads; I find this often get me to where I'm going lots faster (depending what I'm going for), so I can hit high and low notes lots faster without skip-string picking.

As you said, there's no right or wrong way; just what makes you most comfortable. JMHO.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)