View post (Recording Guitar (using Sonar 4))

View thread

Mag2000
Mag2000
12/01/2004 12:18 am
I just bought Sonar 4 and have been messing around with it for the last week. I'm new to recording in general and I haven't had a chance to explore and read about all the features of recording in Sonar, so bare with me.

One of the problems I'm having is getting my guitar sound to sound like it's more in stereo. You know that nice rich sound you hear on everyday music, especially on acoustic guitars. I've recording my guitar tracks in stereo its just missing that extra something.that makes it sound like it's coming from both sides rather then from the middle. And I'm not sure what I should be messing around with since there is so much to Sonar 4.

Should I be messing around with the panning controls? Or should I use two separate tracks, one for the left and another for the right? What about adding plug ins? I have been messing around with the Revalver plug-in from Alien connections to get a better guitar tone. Is that plug-in only a mono effect? Or perhaps I should be doing something like adding buses or more reverb. I haven't used buses so far as I am not familiar with them yet.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Note that I'm recording direct with a DI box for the moment but that I'm quite happy with the guitar tone I'm getting.