Finally got an interview

Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/06/2004 5:40 am
What's up guys? I need some help from all y'all professional employed types. So I got out of college this past June and have had one helluva rotten time trying to get a job as the market blows chunks right now. The past four/five months have been extremely trying for me, but I've finally managed to get an interview for an entry-level job as a software engineer.

I live in Ohio, and the Job is in Tennessee. I talked to the guy yesterday and he said that he's gonna call me on Monday for a 30 minute phone interview, and if that goes well, they're gonna fly me down for an on-site interview. I'm really stoked and don't want to blow this opportunity so I was wondering if y'all could share some interviewing tips and/or stories.

I'm trying to get some "canned" answers built up for when he's like "What're some of your strengths", but I'm having trouble coming up with the opposite, for example, if he asks, "What's your biggest weakness". I was thinking of saying something like I'm a perfectionist (which I'm not), just to have my biggest weakness still be something good, but that seems pretty corny to me. Do you guys got any ideas? What sorts of questions should I expect? Do any of you work in Human Resources?

Thanks a bundle in advance.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2004 9:35 am
ah..the dumb 'what's your biggest weakness' question.I remember it fondly.
If it's a phone interviewer who says that question, think of him/her like a first tier tech support and use the standard answers like, 'I tend to work too hard sometimes' or 'I tend to be too much of a perfectionist' or whatever.
If it's a personal interview, ie, somebody higher up in the company with more experience...have all the pat answers ready but say them with a look on your face that conveys the message... 'here's the pat answer I got out of a book'.
If he's like most dumb interviewers he'll smile like he's impressed and go on to the next question.
Or he'll smile like he knows that you know it's a dumb question and move on anyways.
Or, if he's got any brains in his head he'll say something like 'ok, that's the standard answer, now what's your real answer'.
Then you just list off a whole bunch of the best standard answers really fast without stopping, (use Google, there's tons of them).
That'll usually be enough to move him onto the next question.

My advice is go out and buy a book on how interviews are conducted.
All the interviewer really wants to know is that you can dress the part, have experience, are personable and can get along with others and take direction ("a team player"), have some intelligence and have done your homework. (ie, read a book on how to be interviewed and already know all the standard answers) know something about the company and their products, (the more you know, the less they have to train you) etc etc...
... and it always helps to be a really cute minority woman with a disability.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2004 12:33 pm
Blitz the companies web site and find out as much about them as you can.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/06/2004 3:22 pm
Originally Posted by: schmange... and it always helps to be a really cute minority woman with a disability.

Damn, and Halloween's over. :mad: :( :mad:
My YouTube Profile
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/08/2004 2:44 pm
Only advice I can give is be confident, but not cocky. Also, showing that you enjoy what you do can help out too.

What part of Tennessee is the place in?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/08/2004 3:22 pm
Thanks for the advice guys. My interview is in less than 5 hours so I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I need this job bad because my student loans are coming due in a month, and I don't wanna work at the mall :). So, it's time to impress the hell out of this guy. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by: PRSplayaOnly advice I can give is be confident, but not cocky. Also, showing that you enjoy what you do can help out too.

What part of Tennessee is the place in?

It's in this town about 15 minutes southeast of Memphis called Collierville, TN. It's right on the Tennessee-Mississippi border. Is that close to where you live?
My YouTube Profile
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/08/2004 3:25 pm
It's about 2 hours away. I live 85~ miles south of Memphis.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/08/2004 11:59 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaIt's about 2 hours away. I live 85~ miles south of Memphis.

Cool dude, If I end up getting the job and moving there we'll have to hang out sometime. You can show me what you all do down there, and we can work on my Yankee accent so I don't get tied to the bumper of pickup truck and drug down a gravel road (ok, bad joke, just kidding :D ) I'll bring some beers and we can jam out! :D

So yea, I had the phoneterview today. It lasted 25 minutes and I ended up being on speaker phone answering questions of 3 people. That kinda threw me for a loop, but I think I did a good job and hopefully I'll make it to the next round of interviewing. I"ll know in 2 weeks one way or the other...
My YouTube Profile
# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/09/2004 3:42 pm
lol, I don't think you have anything to worry about with a yankee accent. If you get the job we'll defanately have to hang out and jam. As far as what to do, we could go hang out on Beal St. in Memphis and check out some of the local bands. Beal St. can be a little pricey, but you're alway's gonna have a good time.

Good Luck with the interviews dude!

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/09/2004 4:00 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayalol, I don't think you have anything to worry about with a yankee accent. If you get the job we'll defanately have to hang out and jam. As far as what to do, we could go hang out on Beal St. in Memphis and check out some of the local bands. Beal St. can be a little pricey, but you're alway's gonna have a good time.

Good Luck with the interviews dude!

Sounds like a plan hombre. Does Memphis have a pretty good music scene? Maybe I could find a band there. It's just a stereotype that all they play down there in Tennessee is country music, right? I'm sure it is. Anyway, I'll be sure and resurrect this thread if I make it to the next round of interviewing.
My YouTube Profile
# 10
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/09/2004 4:03 pm
The Memphis area has some of the best rock/metal type bands around! I'm sure it will be fairly easy to find people to play with around that area. Unlike where I live. I have to drive 40 miles to play with my band :(

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/09/2004 4:09 pm
Between driving to and from work and band practice, I drive about 560 miles a week. Work is 40 mi. away, band is 40 mi. away, band is 40 mi. away from work. :rolleyes:

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/11/2004 7:18 am
So I found out the other day that I've been selected to come down to Memphis for a face-to-face interview! I'm stoked and nervous at the same time. They're gonna pay for me to stay at a hotel and then come in for an on-site tour to see how the company operates.

I'm hoping as long as I don't say anything stupid the job is mine. If I'm one of maybe 3 candidates out of hundreds to make it this far, maybe they'll hire us all? Now I'm starting to freak out as write this by just thinking about how close I am. If they're willing to drop some cash on me now, then I must've said something right.

Oh well, just keeping y'all posted. If I move to Memphis then that'll change the location of guitartricks convention for sure!
My YouTube Profile
# 13
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/12/2004 11:09 pm
That's great! Let me know when you'll be down, and maybe I can come up to Memphis and we can go hang out on Beale St. and listen to some good live music and drink some beers

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/12/2004 11:24 pm
Hey Man good luck and give 'em all you got !!!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 15
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/13/2004 4:44 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaThat's great! Let me know when you'll be down, and maybe I can come up to Memphis and we can go hang out on Beale St. and listen to some good live music and drink some beers[/QUOTE]

You got yerself a deal there Pardner. I leave on Wednesday morning. It's a 12 hour drive that's gonna kick my ass for sure.

[QUOTE=Dr_simon]Hey Man good luck and give 'em all you got !!!

Thanks Doc! I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I sure hope I can pull this off!
My YouTube Profile
# 16
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
12/13/2004 6:32 am
...sounds promising Leedogg. Good luck. :)
# 17
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/13/2004 3:30 pm
How long are you going to be in Memphis? I might could take a vacation day since I need to do some Christmas shopping anyway.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 18
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/14/2004 9:59 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaHow long are you going to be in Memphis? I might could take a vacation day since I need to do some Christmas shopping anyway.

Not too long this trip. Like I said it's a 12 hour drive. I'm gonna try to get there by 6pm (or so) tomorrow (Wednesday). Then my tour/interview is from 8:30-10AM, then I'm gonna turn around and come back. If I get the job though, I'll be moving down.
My YouTube Profile
# 19
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/14/2004 1:05 pm
wow, that's gonna be a quick trip! I wish you all the luck in the world! I remember when I came to my job for my interview. It was between me and 3 other people. I just knew, with my luck, there was no way I was going to get the job, but luckily I did. I think the main thing's that helped me were how I was acting very interested in every aspect of the company (which I really was), I showed a good interest in the work I was going to be doing, and high recomendations from my teacher. Try to do the same, and be confident in yourself, and you should do fine. Remember "you can do it!"

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.