Easy first songs.

StratMan1125
StratMan1125
03/08/2001 6:08 pm
First of all, just want to say thanks for all the replies in my first post. Everything is coming along good, trying to practice as much as I can. I still would like any ideas on any good first songs to learn thru and thru. I dont care what type of music it is really. Just hit me with all your suggestions. The only thing I dont really care to play is country but I'd like to be well rounded throughout all the other aspects ( rock, blues, jazz, ..etc). Thanks for you help again.

Jason
Practice, practice, practice...
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
03/08/2001 11:13 pm
Anything from Led Zeppelins arsenal, personally I suggest "Stairway To Heaven", because the arrangments involve a little bit of everything, from (classical) fingerpicking styles, to blues, to rock/jazz etc. Its such an amazing composition, and for any musician its just not enough to hear it on cassette, there are so many great parts in this song that are worth adding to your own style.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/14/2001 9:52 pm
like i said in your other post, try wild thing. it really easy and really cool. also try highway to hell. tears in heaven by clapton is good. wish you were here by pink floyd is really awesome, i learned it a long time ago, i still play it almost everytime i practice. if you've never heard it, listen to it.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 3
stratman42
stratman42
03/17/2001 3:32 pm
I agree. Stairway to heaven and Wish you were here are two of the first songs i learnt. Also (although u may find it a bit difficult to start with) try "purple haze" by jimi hendrix, as that is one catchy riff, man.

Another great one (and easy too) is "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath, and it can easily be sung whilst playing. The intro riff is really catchy, and the solo is great for helping with your pentatonic. Practice and you'll turn out one helluva lot faster than u thought possible.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
03/18/2001 3:35 am
Whe starting out on the guitar we always ask ourselves "whats the easiest song to learn?" But overall its important to find a song that will keep us interested, once we can master one of our all time favorite tracks, it definitely has a way in building our confidence and increases our enthusiasm. And in a way, it kind of puts our work ethic to the test, its imortant to put in the time in order to reach satisfactory results. Alot of people find their overall practice schedules to be rather frustrating, as long as you can learn to make the best of your time and continuously move up the ladder, you can't go wrong. Always find new ways to maintain your enthusiasm, because whether or not we realize it or not, those first few months of playing are important, because it kind of gives us an idea of whats in store for us in the future...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 5
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/23/2001 11:08 pm
I learned Stairway to Heaven first on my acoustic and then when I got an electric I learned What Is And What Shuld Never Be and Im now learning Whole Lotta Love. The problem with Zeppelins stuff is its very hard to get timing and such right its very precise. Id recommend Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore even though its hard its slow so you can easily learn it not worrying about the long notes.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
03/24/2001 1:20 am
But its good to train your ears at such a very early stage, I started out on a nylon string acoustic guitar and basically mastered fingerstyle, (which has definitely added a great amount of fluidity to my style over the past several years.) Just like any song that we sit down to learn, the whole experience can be rather overwhelming as well as creating a wall in front of us, but it all depends on whether or not you're easily discouraged. Learning some rather intermediate patterns from the beginning especially by ear, its kind of a test as to how far we will go to succeed in the future.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 7
stratman42
stratman42
03/24/2001 3:05 pm
I also started on a nylon string acoustic, but i played classical style for 4 years before i moved onto electric, so songs like Stairway just came naturally to me, and they also helped with my timing.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.