recording software

metalfaithfull
metalfaithfull
10/21/2004 11:06 pm
anybody know some music or guitar recording software that i can download for free? im in need and the program that i have keeps curupting all my best work so i really need a stable or decant programe nothin like protools or anything but somthing that doesn't require me spending big bucks on a sound card . thanks :cool:
# 1
progg
progg
10/22/2004 6:45 am
I'm fascinated that so many are asking for various recording software when basically any software will do - for recording. I'd suggest everyone to go to download.com and do a search. I'd rather focus on the soundcard, that does not require you to spend big bucks, over the software you're using. If the sound is crap when connected to the computer what does it matter if the software is made by NASA or whom ever. Get a fairly decent soundcard. I use Maya MKII and it cost me about $215 (in Sweden). I don't consider that a lot of money if recording is something I want to put my time and energy in to. I'm sure most of us can save up to $200 eventually.

I hope I didn't come out as a total a-hole. Not my intention. Just a suggestion.

Suggestions on various software to finish with could be CoolEdit/Adobe Audition, SoundForge, GoldWave etc. Or try download.com for free- and shareware.

I hope I helped some at least.

Kristian
Don't look at me, swan!
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/22/2004 7:05 am
If you don't mind being limited to 8 audio tracks & 48 midi tracks you can get ProTools Free.
http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

The learning curve is kinda tough for newbies but it's better than most shareware stuff.
# 3
metalfaithfull
metalfaithfull
10/28/2004 4:26 am
Originally Posted by: proggI'm fascinated that so many are asking for various recording software when basically any software will do - for recording. I'd suggest everyone to go to download.com and do a search. I'd rather focus on the soundcard, that does not require you to spend big bucks, over the software you're using. If the sound is crap when connected to the computer what does it matter if the software is made by NASA or whom ever. Get a fairly decent soundcard. I use Maya MKII and it cost me about $215 (in Sweden). I don't consider that a lot of money if recording is something I want to put my time and energy in to. I'm sure most of us can save up to $200 eventually.

I hope I didn't come out as a total a-hole. Not my intention. Just a suggestion.

Suggestions on various software to finish with could be CoolEdit/Adobe Audition, SoundForge, GoldWave etc. Or try download.com for free- and shareware.

I hope I helped some at least.

Kristian

hey i do have a decant sound card i was merly saying that i didn't want to go and get a digidesign kinda deal my sound card is about 400$ canadian around 275$ american,and i looked on download.com and i cant find anything usefull i did find one recording thing but it was a complete joke id rather use my stock "sound recorder" that on windows than what i found .
is there anything else you could suggest you seem to be quite knowlegable?
# 4
progg
progg
10/28/2004 5:15 am
Originally Posted by: metalfaithfull
is there anything else you could suggest you seem to be quite knowlegable?

I came out like I would actually know stuff? My bad. =)

I use Adobe Audition and I find it usefull for me atleast. A decent shareware program I used some time ago was Goldwave(.com). Not sure how good it is nowadays since it was a few years ago I used it but I'm sure it'll manage to do the essential tasks one would need.

I hope you find something. Or rather, I bet you do.
Don't look at me, swan!
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2004 5:21 am
The only thing you've gotta be careful of with shareware stuff is it might not track in time properly.
Before I got Cubase I tried a Mac program for recording 8 tracks at once. It worked great but the different tracks would occasionally go out of sync with each other...almost like the author of the program hadn't figure out a way to lock them together.

Another consideration is future stuff. If you record with a shareware ACME program and come up with a really cool tune... you many have no way of transferring your audio files over to a decent program later on if you ever want to upgrade. ie, you might be able to export .wav files etc... but you'd lose all your mixing and track assignment info.

Just a suggestion, but if you really want to get into recording, you're way better off getting a decent but basic program to begin with and upgrading it later.
(only my own opinion tho :)
# 6
progg
progg
10/28/2004 7:25 am
Try the evaluation copies of the programs I suggested and if you happen to like any I'd suggest your purchase it. It's not more complicated than that really. =) Download one program, use it, and if you don't like it move on to the next one.

And as Schmange said, take into consideration you'll be using the program for some time so the program should do whatever you want it to do and work smoothly.

Happy hunting!
Don't look at me, swan!
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2004 7:56 am
yeah..... I guess one reason I mentioned ProTools FRee is that it's a free download of a major upgrade later that's pretty much standard in the industry.

Personally I don't use it, but a lot of studios have ProTools systems which makes transfering files a lot simpler.

Also, I may be partial or whatever but, I've used Cubase for years and so far found it to be the best overall software for doing midi and audio recordings.

The tech support sucks big time, but if you study the manuals enough you'll never need it.

Not to be pushing my own material or anything but if you want an example, here's a a coupla tunes I did in less than 1/2 hour using Cubase, Halion, Absynth and the included LM-4 drum machine from Cubase, and using the built in sound card for my old Mac G3 beige machine bought from a used store for $250 bucks. These are just lofi MP3's so the .wav files on the CD are much better.

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/mp3/Rocksplosion.mp3
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/mp3/Orbit.mp3

or even orchestral stuff
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/mp3/Eventide.mp3

The main advantage with pro-quality software is you can add a lot more effects, VSTi Instruments and other advantages that make coming up with a tune much faster and convenient.

This stuff was done completely within the computer using just computer synths, a guitar plugged into Amplitube and the stock sound card provided with my old Mac G3 Beige computer running OS 8.6
# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
10/31/2004 2:40 am
Originally Posted by: metalfaithfullanybody know some music or guitar recording software that i can download for free? im in need and the program that i have keeps curupting all my best work so i really need a stable or decant programe nothin like protools or anything but somthing that doesn't require me spending big bucks on a sound card . thanks :cool:

okay....first off, how much are you willing to spend on a recording program....second, what do you want to use it for.....third......do you want it to sound good or sound like you used the sound recorder program?

if you want to record anything to your computer.....you're gonna need an interface of some type. be it an external recorder like a fostex mr8 or an A-D converter like an MBox or a Digi 002.

we'll go from there about recording stuff.....see where you want to go first and how much you're willing to spend.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 9
rfd10
rfd10
11/22/2004 3:17 am
Is anyone using guitarport with adobe audition? I do not want to buy Line6 rifftracker. How do I set up to record what I am doing in Guitarport with Adobe Audition? :confused:
# 10
rfd10
rfd10
11/24/2004 4:54 am
OK, I am up and running with "Kristal" as my recorder. Audition tells me error: to change sample...once I figured out that GuitarPort only sends the guitar track and not any music bed or jam tracks, I was fine.
# 11
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/25/2004 5:50 am
Personally I like Acid Pro because it was the first program I came across that I was able to figure out and get going within a few minutes. I've been using it for years now, but I know I haven't even scratched the surface of all the available features. This is one robust piece of software.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/07/2004 5:23 pm
> if you want to record anything to your computer.....you're gonna need an
> interface of some type. be it an external recorder like a fostex mr8 or
> an A-D converter like an MBox or a Digi 002.

Is this difficulty a Windows PC type of thing? Everybody keeps saying you need all this stuff to record to the computer but all I have to do is plug something into the 1/8" sound input on the back of the Mac (ie, a mixer)
The only conversion I need is for the midi, so I use an opcode midi translator in the modem port.
For $50 it gives you one input and 3 outputs so, in other words you can basically connect all your midi and audio equipment for $50, go to the sound control panel and select 'Audio In', and you're ready to go with 128 tracks of audio and unlimited MIDI.
And this computer is 5 years old. 266mhz processor, 320MB of Ram & no USB.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.