help on singing...

paper-boat
paper-boat
10/13/2004 4:33 pm
i want to try and learn to sing....but im kind of struggling with it....i want to learn to sing like....hardcore music like poison the well type stuff and whatnot or maybe somthing like slipknot....but i have trouble with the screaming and growling type stuff....could anyone give me tips or maybe a website i should read or anything cuzz i really want to learn how to sing.....any help will be much apreciated thank you
# 1
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
10/13/2004 4:46 pm
Well the best is to start training ur vocals on anything, start singing alot, as much as u can the more u exercise ur vocal chords the better.

Try out songs that are slightly out of ur range, so u can see how u improve.
BUT dont stress ur vocal chords out, its surprising how many ppl strain their vocals, cus they dont sing in their true pitch.

Check out some good websites on finding ur pitch, even actors need to do this to speak in their true pitch, most of the times evryone just acts, in a manner they think best, but is not their pitch, and so they screw up their vocal chords.

A book i know of that teaches u this is 'through music to the self' by erm.........still thinkin......peter or michael or peter michael hamel. The surname is hamel or hammel for sure. hehe [im not home so i cant check]

And i recently had a conversation with a guy who sings in a death metal band and i asked him to give me tips on how to growl, cus i can't very well [and dont tell me women can't cus u should check out angela gossow - arch enemy] anyway he said 'u have to find it urself, theres no way to go about it, it'll come naturally, just learn how to best control ur voice'

so there u have it, as always u have to find whats true in ur heart and go with it, without putting too much pressure and tryign to forget what everyone else did o get there. i know its hard but one thing i can be certain of is that the more u sing the better ur voice will get, as long as u do it propely ie not stressing out, and ull know when u do this cus ur throat will be sore right after, or ull find urself coughing...

long reply,,,i hope u read it all ;)
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 2
paper-boat
paper-boat
10/13/2004 4:56 pm
thanks for the tip....but could you give me some good songs that would be good for practicing on? like some easy hardcore song or somthing i should try singing?? again any help is much appreciated
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
10/14/2004 4:03 pm
In a word, Voice Lessons (in two words, actually).
That's my opinion.
if you go to a proffesional and qualified voice coach, I'd bet you you'll be able to do what you want to do with your voice.
Or do this:
I'm about to beging taking voice lessons. In fact, I'm calling the voice coach tonite, to talk it over and stuff. Give me about two months, then I'll be able to tell you from my own experience wheter the lessons work or not.
# 4
munqy
munqy
10/15/2004 9:57 am
I'm having troubles with singing and playing at the same time. I'm taking it really slow and learning some old john lennon and oasis so i can sing along. but when it comes to something like metallica where i can play the leads with my eyes closed, i'll mess up over the easiest riffs (like the chorus of enter sandman). I'm trying to get my vocals up to par so i can do backing vocals for a couple of shows i have to play playing nightwish, bodom, opeth and in flames covers. Is it possible to learn to do so by novermber?

thanx
real tyte bro \m/
# 5
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/15/2004 6:07 pm
Originally Posted by: munqyI'm having troubles with singing and playing at the same time. I'm taking it really slow and learning some old john lennon and oasis so i can sing along. but when it comes to something like metallica where i can play the leads with my eyes closed, i'll mess up over the easiest riffs (like the chorus of enter sandman). I'm trying to get my vocals up to par so i can do backing vocals for a couple of shows i have to play playing nightwish, bodom, opeth and in flames covers. Is it possible to learn to do so by novermber?

thanx

I think everone is different with the learning curve....I've been playing for about 15 years and still can't sing and play some songs at the same time. Metallica is not easy to play while singing. Anyway, I'd say it's not impossible to learn that by November, but, highly unlikely.....Don't give up though, it may happen for you...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2004 7:20 pm
In my opinion, voice lessons might not help you out here. Typically, voice lessons are for improving your tonality, and range, but doing it in a way safe for your voice. This usually isn't what you express in hardcore music. But you may have a great hardcore singer in your area that could give you some tips.

Hardcore singing to me, has always seemed like the singer is straining their voice. That's where you start to get the growling effect. If you can sing a song perfectly, and it is totally in your range it may be harder for you to get the growl. You can get a nice one when you sing a little higher than your range. You get a very big strain, that sounds kind of like a dieing bird if you go way over the top. If you sing low, the growl that you try to produce will end with your voice sounding muffled.

It's up to you. I don't know much on the hardcore category of singing. Ask around in your neighborhood, look up what a few of your favorite singers did or do to sing the way they do.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.