View post (Stopped playing Guitar?)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/07/2004 2:10 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseJust wondered if theres any guys here who actually dont play guitar.... or who used to play but havent picked one up in a while... Weird thing is that people say to me to get into a band or learn new stuff.... but realyl I dont want to. I think I played guitar and got a lot out of it for 3 years but Ive sorta grown outa it... weird huh :rolleyes:
[font=trebuchet ms]I stopped for 2 or 3 years during my twenties, but I never stopped thinking of myself as being a guitar player. When I picked it up again, I did so for the joy of it, as well as the need for it. I haven't played in a full-time band since then. I just jam with different people to share that special feeling of making music together.

It may be that your years of buying and selling guitars has caused you to regard them as a commodity. My time as a professional musician showed me that turning a hobby into a business killed the joy of doing it.

I'd suggest hanging on to one special guitar, if you have one. Sell everything else, and get on with your life. If making music is really part of you, the need to play will bring you back. If that doesn't happen, it's OK. No-one says you have to be a musician to reach your potential. The appreciation of music will stay with you forever. That doesn't mean you can't live a full life without actually playing music.

Good luck to you, whatever your choices may be.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons