Sweep Picking

kpxmikey89
kpxmikey89
10/05/2004 3:40 am
Oka... so i know that Yngwie and Vai, atleast my favorite guitarists on this planet, uses lotta sweep picking, mostly yngiwe uses it more, to play those fast arpeggios and raking it on the fretboard...

ive seen many lessons online here n there about sweep picking, but i need some help,

i get how to sweep pick downwards... but how do u sweep picking upwards?
when i try sweeping upwards, my pick (0.95 Dunlop), just wont flow fluidly upward the 6 strings.. it stops at each string, making me get stuck in the strings and loose the sweeping feel

i get downward sweep but i dont get upward sweep
is this a common problem to newbie-sweep-pickers?
does every struggle with upward sweep picking when they first start?

and i also have this tendency to alternate pick when im sweeping up?
lol... somebody pleez drop a line, help me out
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/05/2004 4:06 pm
I'm still working on sweeps myself. Have you tried using a lighter pick? Like a medium. That way the pick will give a little and not get hung up on the strings. Just work on them slow to get the coordination and slowly speed them up....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
kpxmikey89
kpxmikey89
10/06/2004 1:37 am
hey i think i kinda got sweep picking! well but im not very good at it, but check out www.cyberfret.com and go under techniques and sweep picking
they intruct sweep pickign very well, i kinda did it in 20 mins..

try to A major arpegio, then A minor arpegios

some useful tips i found: try to seperate your arpegios in to parts
for ex:

A maj Arpegio

e -----------------9h12h9------------------
b -----------10 ------------ 10--------------
g --------9 -------------------- 9-----------
d -----11 -------------------------11--------
a --12 -------------------------------12-----
e---------------------------------------------

u c taht right?
play 12, 11, 9 and consider that the first chunk of the arpgeio
then play 10, 9h12, as the second chunk of it
then bring it down 9, 10 as third chunk
then 9 11 12 as the last chunk... and practice them step by step

also... i was inspired to use think picks for sweeping, kuz yngwie n all stuff.. which u guys ALL (SHOULD) know waht i talkign about how he uses 1.5 dunlop
and if u notice his picking right hand, its very relaxed... yes

relax ur sweep picking right hand (if ur a righty player)
only stress ur right hand wiht some pressure if ur playing the same chunk
but if ur alternating chunk to chunk, relax ur picking hand, let it move fuildly up n down

but again.. im stil not so good at sweeping but these are my beginer tips! ^_^
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/06/2004 1:43 am
Are you angling the pick? When you sweep downward it's pretty convenient to angle the top of the pick (the part you're holding) towards the ground and when going upward I find it best to angle back up at me. I'm still learning about sweeping though (getting there) and this is just my observations when I practice. It gets funner (obviously) when you get the hang of it. My fretting fingers are the main issue as they don't move fast enough. Time to hit the metronome up some more. Just take your time and watch your hands, in this case particularly your picking hand. Just watch what it does that causes it to not flow well and try things to get it to be more manueverable.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
ktcobain
ktcobain
10/06/2004 6:55 am
i use 1.14 pick, and i found it is better than soft pick.for me pick does matter! i just learned sweep picking for 3 months something, last time was horrible, but now the sound of my sweep is not so clean. but i think the problem is yer hand position while sweeping upward. yngwie's hand position maybe not suitable for you! and i think you should try and error, and you will find the best way of sweeping hand position that suit you. (i am doing like that... hope can help you)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.