frettless bass guitars

TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
09/20/2004 2:16 am
Hey, just wondering if somebody could give me the scoop on fretless bass guitars. I imagine there may be less "buzzing" sounds, but in my case, its probably not the guitar, its the player and his inaccurate fingerings (on the damn fretts!!) Im more of an electric guitar guy, but Id love any info you guys can give on frettless basses, thanks!
Music rules, beer rules. Music about beer cannot be topped.
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/20/2004 2:31 am
Fretless guitars do exist. I've never played one but I know a couple people around here did some recording with them.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/20/2004 3:16 am
???

"The scoop"?

What type of info are you looking for, exactly? Price, features, types, skill needed, availability, etc...
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
09/20/2004 3:37 am
Just, compared to a bass with fretts, how significant is the difference in playabiltiy? Ive never played a frettless bass and I just wondered if anyone could put into words how they feel compared to a regular bass. If that makes more sense. I know, really I just need to try one myself, but I just wondered as I sit here at work. Thanks!
# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/20/2004 4:03 am
They feel kinda like a normal bass except they don't have those little metal things on top of them. :rolleyes:
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5
TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
09/20/2004 4:07 am
Why diddnt I think of that?? :)
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/20/2004 1:32 pm
A bassist told me that he felt they lacked punch. They feel like a classical stringed instrument (e.g. cello, or I guess a double bass would be closest).

Some even have markings where the frets should be to help you be in tune.

[/sarcasm]
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/20/2004 2:37 pm
hey TST, check out:
http://www.fretlessbass.com/home.html

i think you are after the interviews their in !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 8
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
09/20/2004 8:27 pm
I played around with a fretless bass for a while. To me, the hardest thing was that you have to put your finger on the fretboard exactly where the fret would be. You don't have the space like what's in between frets, so you have to be much more precise on your fingering.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 9
TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
TOXIC SHOCK TROOPER
09/20/2004 10:14 pm
Cool, thanks guys. Yea, I wondered how it worked, feeling wise, without fretts. My curisoity has pushed me to plan a stop at the guitar shop on my next day off to try one out, if they have one. Just gotta try it out myself. Thanks yall.
# 10
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/21/2004 6:27 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnesomeday i'd like to try a fretless guitar....

Just a reminder, they do exist. It would be fun to try one but I'm pretty sure I would suck at it.
-A.H.
# 11
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/21/2004 1:25 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneyou can take any regular electric bass and get it "de-fretted," meaning that they'll remove the frets and fill the spaces with a thin piece of metal that doesn't stick up at all and is flush against the fretboard. it's pretty cheap as i understand. there are also lots of basses available fretless from the factory.

I did that to my friend's bass, using an exacto, a screwdriver and some elbow grease. I probably should have eased up on the elbow grease, since the fretboard was really soft and chipped easily. Anyways, in spite of the chips, it sounded really cool. However, I'd always just end up playing the bass parts to "Hey You" by Pink FLoyd then get extremely bored.

[/sarcasm]
# 12
HDJ
HDJ
09/21/2004 5:32 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneyou can take any regular electric bass and get it "de-fretted," meaning that they'll remove the frets and fill the spaces with a thin piece of metal that doesn't stick up at all and is flush against the fretboard. it's pretty cheap as i understand. there are also lots of basses available fretless from the factory.

Even though it's done all the time, "de-fretting" a regular bass is not a good idea. A true fretless bass uses ebony or some other very hard, dense wood on the fingerboard. Softer woods that are usually used on a fingerboard will kill the sound and will not have the sustain. Also, softer woods will wear a lot faster. Gotta remember that the strings are in direct contact with the fingerboard, and the strings will make indentions on a regular fretboard because of the softer wood.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.