Hey LATS! V-Specs?

pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
09/18/2004 7:22 pm
Dear Lordatthestrings, pstring Jr., ie.. wstring has decided he wants to build a geetar for his advanced project in woodshop this year, and of course a Flying V is the only thing that will suffice, Dear old Dad is helping out with the materials list, cash (surprise), and the design specs, big problem, I need some specs for a V body, basically just body length, width from wing tip to wing tip and depth of the V cut out, I remember you said you have your Odessey V, and if you have the time could you take a few measurements for me? I'm concerned about making the body too short and causing a balance problem, so could you help a brother out? ..................
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/18/2004 8:01 pm
Just in case Lord takes too long...can't you take measurements at a local guitar store?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/21/2004 3:42 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonJust in case Lord takes too long...can't you take measurements at a local guitar store?
[font=trebuchet ms]Yeah, sure, the staff would be delighted to have you take their $1000 V off the rack to measure it up for a bit of copying! :p

I just got home from work, and I'm kinda burnt, but I can have a go at it tomorrow. The dimensions are pretty close to the Gibson, including the neck layback, but it's a neck-through design with the controls mounted from the rear. There's no cheesy pick guard covering most of the front. The stock bridge is a Leo Quann Badass wrap-around stop-bar type which I intend to replace with something I'll machine myself when I can get access to a mill. It's all maple except for the rosewood fretboard, so the tone is amazing! My only disappointment is the neck-heavy balance. If I use a slippery strap, the head dives for the floor. I use a wide cloth strap to slow it down. My new bridge design is based on a large brass block set into the body. That will add a pound or two to the body to even out the balance, while adding the tone and sustain of string-through-body layout. If I was building from scratch, I would make the body at least 1/4" thicker, to accomodate push-pull pots. Bear in mind that I've been palying an 8 lb, 11oz. Yamaha SBG for the last 20 years, so to me, a heavy guitar is normal. The neck is very wide, and quite thick. I like it that way. I find my fretting hand is more relaxed when it's wrapped around a substantial neck, instead of pinching some wispy lil' thang.

I suspect it will be easiest to take a bunch of photos and Photoshop some dimensions on them for you.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/21/2004 3:57 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Yeah, sure, the staff would be delighted to have you take their $1000 V off the rack to measure it up for a bit of copying! :p
[/font]

How about the 250$ one close to the ground? And don't let them see you do it? :p :p
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/21/2004 11:25 am
Hey LATS if you want somewhere to house the photoes email them to me and Ill stick em up on line
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/22/2004 3:53 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonHey LATS if you want somewhere to house the photoes email them to me and Ill stick em up on line
[font=trebuchet ms]Thanks for the offer, Doc. I'll leave it up to pstring about sharing them around. 15 photos at 1/2 MB each, I fear I have just flooded his Inbox!

[font=copperplate gothic bold]The Stalker[/font] is in the shop for some setup tweaking, but when I get it back, I want to get some pix of my pile of gear before I do a major eBay sell-off. I'd be very happy to post some of those.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/22/2004 11:26 am
Well we still have a little bit of space left on out website so let me know !
# 7
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
09/23/2004 1:02 am
Hey some crazy guy from Canada flooded my inbox with pictures of a V-guitar, I didn't know what was going on at first, until I saw the senders name, just as I suspected, Lordatthestrings was spamming me :D , Hey LATS, thank you for your time and effort, and the cool photos, the measurements really help, so hopefully this weekend wstring and me can get some drawings knocked out, and that boy can get to work, talk about role reversal, me watching him work! ,....... Hey again, Thank You, Mr. Lordatthestrings.............
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/06/2004 4:32 am
[font=trebuchet ms]So, is it too soon to ask how it turned out?[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
11/06/2004 1:38 pm
Well, yes. we did a full size drawing, sourced out all the hardware, talked it in to the ground, and then my son got cold feet, which kind of bummed me out, but he decided he wasn't ready to tackle it and I figure if he doesn't think he is ready, then he isn't ready, when and if he decides he wants to do it we still have all the drawings and specs, so the ball is in his court,

On the bright side, his playing is coming along pretty well, my wife heard him playing in his room the other night and asked me if that was him or a CD, all I could do was smile and say, I think he is getting the hang of it. I just answer his questions and stay out of his way, about once a week we get together and work on whatever is on his mind, about 2 weeks ago we were doing some harmony leads, and having a good time, sharing what I have learned over the years with my son is just about as good as it gets, the only downside is he is now getting effects pedal fever and starting to talk about half stacks..........
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2004 2:43 pm
Effects pedal fever and half stacks, that has to be all positive !!

Just remember to fork out for the attenuator. I have a PB100 fitted to my TSL and it does suck tone but it has also kept me out of jail and kept my marriage intact !
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.