View post (avoid notes)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/22/2004 8:28 pm
I used to jam with a guy, he played guitar and I played bass. He never liked to detune his guitar, "said it sounded too muddy and flat". However I liked my bass extremely heavy, so I would detune my B string down to G. We sounded fine because my G and his G were in tune. If they weren't it would have sounded horrible. Our of tune is out of tune. There's no logic in it and I know your just being sacrcastic. ;)

Tension can resolve to itself. In fact entire phrases have been build on strict tension in some of the best known music we have. It's the aural and pyschological effect it has. When the ear hears a tense note, it wants to hear it resolve immediately. So what if it doesn't? The ear will keep listening and waiting for it to resolve, this creates suspense. Suspense is one of the most powerful tools in composition. However if a entire phrase is dedicated to tension the preceding will release the tension, the longer til release the more suspenseful. There's also the risk of having it too long, because then it becomes bland (like you said).

I'm not trying to change your mind on what you want to hear or play, just wanted to point out something.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.