View post (avoid notes)

View thread

pikengren
pikengren
09/22/2004 12:21 am
so, then i probably should not bother to tune my guitar, then, because if all 12 tones work, then i'd suppose the gaps in between should as well. after all, i lwouldn't want to limit myself.
actually i have seen those micro guitars with steps in between our conventional 12.
everyone has there own way of playing, and what sounds they like or don't.
i love dissonance, without it , music would be bland. and love to play something a little "off" so to speak , it can be fun, and break free of the norm
you can't always acheive the same sound from the same note, even over the same chord, in a different progression, because the overall tone has been set by the other chords in that progression.
and many times it can be how the note is played, ascending, descending, what note you played before it etc.
i new a guy that could make about any scale work over just about anything.
that's great. impressive.
but in making dossonance the norm, there was nowhere to go to to make anything stand out, so his playing although impressive as hell, sounded bland.
tension, resolve is a wonderful thing. but tension doesn't resolve to itself.
this isn't fact, this is opinion based on what i like to hear. if i don't like a note, i don't play it. it may be technically correct, but if i don't like the sound it makes, well, why should i? to prove i can? lol