Picking styles on different guitrs - a crazy, new idea I had

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/06/2004 2:05 am
So one day while I'm pondering the benefits of strict alternate picking, then the same for economy picking (I do this constantly) I came up with this semi-strange idea:

To change picking styles depending on which of my guitars I was playing

At first I discarded the idea as utter madness, but as I though about it, it made more sense. You see I'm mainly a jazz player, but I'm just beginning what I like to call "real shred" or "neoclassical" if you fancy ("unreal shred" is what I categorize guys like Vai and Satch, as I can get through most of their songs, especially the ones using lots of legato).

Now when playing jazz I:

1) Like to have a real smooth flowing sound, like a sax (which I believe to be the king of the "style" part of jazz)

2) I pretty much only use my big fat hollowbody electric when I play it

So I look at myslef and say, use economy picking when playing the hollowbody!! My economy picking technique is pretty good, I can fake through some Di Meola doing it....

Any way my alternate picking technique is well..... Ok it sux. But I have decided to take alt. picking and use it on...

The solid body electric!! This will be the guitar I play shred with!!

And acoustic... both!! It will depend on what I'm playing but probably mostly alternate.

Keep in mind that the things I said above exclude sweeping and such...

So I just though I'd post that little idea I had. Maybe I'll mix it up, but this is a handy way to organize things for me, since normally I don't remember what I'm doing when I'm playing. :p
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
Crazy J.
Crazy J.
09/07/2004 8:09 am
Although I dont use different techniques with different guitars, I often find that playing with a different axe can give new inspiration and a new feel for an old song. Obviously, if the guitar looks different, feels different, and plays different, your most likely gonna have different ideas while playing it.
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/09/2004 6:45 am
I think it's a good idea ... You'll force yourself to master both techniques.
Personally, I find economy picking pretty lame , specialy for 3-notes per string runs ... But sometimes it fits in the middle of something while I'm playing.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.