A newcommer to the recording stuff (please help)

AIC
AIC
08/19/2004 4:30 pm
Hey guys.

I have played guitar for some years (7 now) but I never tried recording my stuff untill now.

So my question goes: what do I need?

My soundcard is a:
Creative soundblaster live

Is this soundcard good enough or do I need another one?

Second: How should I connect the stuff?
I got a behringer amp and a boss gt-6 fx-board but I really don't know what should be connected and how.

Hope you can help me.
Thank you for reading anyway
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/19/2004 5:08 pm
Welcome to the recording forum, we will have you up and running in no time !

I'd plug the GT6 into the sound-blaster (line in socket). You will need an adapter for the cable (to go from 1/4' jack to 1/8' jack) which you can get at radioshack for about 5 bucks.

You will also probably want to monitor what you are recording. To do this you can either plug a set of headphones into the GT6 or into the sound card. You may need another adapter to do this depending on the headphones. You may find that the sound coming out of the headphones has a delay on it (latency). This is an issue with digital recording and it is solvable however it is quite an involved process and may not even be an issue with your set up so Im not going to bang on about it here.

You will also need some recording software. I use Sonar 3 (lots of dollars) however there is lots about for free. Have a look through this forum for descriptions of each.

The card, well sound blasters are not the best however they will be fine to start with. Don't waste your time upping the bit-depth beyond 16 bit as main chip in the sound blaster processes everything at 16 bit and any additional information will be redundant.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
AIC
AIC
08/19/2004 11:09 pm
Thank you for your quick reply.

I have tried to connect the GT_6 with the sound card through the exit that i normally use for my amplifier.
Alas it does not give any signal or sound when i connect it to my soudcard.

1) Am I using the wrong exit?
2) Do I need to change any settings on the computer?
3) Which port on the soundcard should I use? (I am not very experienced with soundcards so I just kind atried them all)

And as the eager student ( :p ) I got an additional question:

I have been thinking about buying a M-Audio audiophile 2946 soundcard. Would this be a good choise or do you have a better suggestion?

Once again thank you for reading and hopefully responding :D
# 3
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/21/2004 1:12 am
What software are you using to record? Chances are, you have to activate the line input for recording use. If you go to the Control Panel --> Sounds --> Audio tab --> then click Volume, it will bring up all the faders for your I/O. If the speaker icon is in your system tray, you can double click too. Once the volume window is open, go to Options --> Properties. Click the Recording button and OK to bring up your recording input volume faders. You have to check the box under Line In for that input to be active in your recording software.

As far as interfaces go, there has never been a better time to buy one. The easiest and highest quality choice would be an external Firewire interface. many of these come with 2 combination mic preamps/guitar inputs. You connect the interface to your computer through Firewire (you'll need an add-on card if you dont have any Firewire ports, also called IEEE 1394). Plug your guitar straight into it or run an output from your GT-6 into it. The device should come with drivers that will let it work with your recording software. The interface should also have a set of outputs on it that you can connect speakers to for monitoring.

Go here to see what's available:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=computer/content/cb/index

I highly recommend the Digidesign MBox, because you will then get to use the Pro Tools software, which in my opinion, is the best recording software available for audio work. If you're into MIDI, I'd check out something else.

I would not recommend a sound card device as they can sometimes be a hassle to install and use, and aren't portable. Try to find a Firewire interface within your budget.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 4
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2004 11:24 pm
Pick yourself up a copy of Home Recording For Musicians For Dummies also. It starts to get you into using different ideas in recording, whether it be computer, SIAB or stand alone unit.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.