View post (A newcommer to the recording stuff (please help))

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/19/2004 5:08 pm
Welcome to the recording forum, we will have you up and running in no time !

I'd plug the GT6 into the sound-blaster (line in socket). You will need an adapter for the cable (to go from 1/4' jack to 1/8' jack) which you can get at radioshack for about 5 bucks.

You will also probably want to monitor what you are recording. To do this you can either plug a set of headphones into the GT6 or into the sound card. You may need another adapter to do this depending on the headphones. You may find that the sound coming out of the headphones has a delay on it (latency). This is an issue with digital recording and it is solvable however it is quite an involved process and may not even be an issue with your set up so Im not going to bang on about it here.

You will also need some recording software. I use Sonar 3 (lots of dollars) however there is lots about for free. Have a look through this forum for descriptions of each.

The card, well sound blasters are not the best however they will be fine to start with. Don't waste your time upping the bit-depth beyond 16 bit as main chip in the sound blaster processes everything at 16 bit and any additional information will be redundant.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS