The music notes

N0ISEhazard
N0ISEhazard
08/08/2004 7:42 am
Okay... My friends and I are trying to put together a band... I don't really know much about music however. (Our family hardly has any musical background.) I was wondering about songwriting.

I have no idea how the whole songwriting thing works out... My friend said that I'd probably end up writing the songs, but is it usually one person writing songs or is it the whole band? Also, I don't know how to read/write music notes... does that play a big role in sharing music ideas? I don't know, I'm not the singer of the band, so I don't see how I'd be able to sing to give off somewhat a "demo" on how the song is supposed to come out. Bleh, this whole songwriting concept has puzzled me for quite a while now. It's coming to the extent of raising doubts. :confused:

Also, I have ADHD and I'm bipolar... I don't take any medication for it but I think the ADHD effects my memory. Sometimes I hallucinate really good music or I get these awesome ideas but by the time I try to figure it out, I forget. I can't write music notes either so~... I don't know what to do. I would take medication or whatever to see if it helped, but it might interfere with my creativity because the psychological problems also provoke creativity... Any ideas?

[FONT=Arial]"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
-Johnny Rotten[/FONT]
# 1
davesellar
davesellar
08/24/2004 6:27 pm
hey if u get the ideas but u lose them by the time u cum 2 writin them u shud buy this thing called absolute pitch of the net. its sum cds that u listen 2 in the day and b4 u sleep. you do this 4 about 4 weeks in total and it gives u perfect pitch which gives you the ability to here a note and instantly say what it is. you are also supposed 2 b able 2 hum/sing any note without a a root note. i got it about 2 weeks ago now and i havnt got perfect pitch yet but im quite confident its working, maybe u shud giv it a go its about Ā£40 but if it works it will be well worth it.

the site i got it from is http://www.absolutepitchpower.com/index.html as i say tho i havnt got it completely yet but i can see it is starting to work as i am picking out notes just by hearing them. neway have a look and c wot u think.

as for actually writing the songs, for me, i find that by listening to a wide variety of musical genres and then picking out certain songs and sort of analysing them can be quite good. write down any similarities between the songs you and ur mates like such as is the intro guitar duz it have bits of just guitar bits with just drums etc. write down each instrument and then wot each instrument duz at wot time. this way ull c wot works well and wot duznt obviously this duznt always work but by taking ideas (song order, how the guitar and bass works 2getha etc.) from different songs can work quite well.

as for you not being able to read music its not the end of the world. its a very useful tool 2 have especially if auditioning for new band members or trying to get in another band if your jammin with ur mates tho u can probably get away with just knowing the note names and remembering the riffs u cum up with. a useful tool for learning to read and write music is http://www.powertabs.net/ download the powertab editor and u can learn songs from it and write your own down. because it has a playback function u can write your own stuff using tablature and listen to it to make sure its right. this can also be good writing new songs as you can here wot u have written b4 actually playing it on the guitar then learn it later. also u have to change note values etc. just do this by experimenting and ull find ull pick it up quickly.

neway iv spoke 4 way 2 long now i hope iv bin of sum use 2 u

dave
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/24/2004 10:10 pm
Well first of all sorry about the ADHD. thats going to make things tough. I used to always have good ideas but then id forget exactly how I played them. So, I got a littlle 4-track recorder about $100. When I'd play i turned it on. There were my ideas right on tape. Try it. As for the songwriting process there is no right way just the way that is best for you. If you don't feel comfortable being a lone writer tell your mates. Me and my band members found the best song writing stratagy was when one person had an Idea the others just went with it and found a groove we've all had our little brainchilds that went from a three chord progression into a very decent song. So I say have everyone express themselves. As for reading music it not really nessacary to be able to read. I can but somehow I really don't apply it often if at all. Its best to lern harmonys and melodies. Learn how to stay in key. and keep up with the beat. Its harder than it sounds for some but practice practice practice. Your ear will tell you what bassline goes with what progression, and drumline.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/25/2004 4:07 am
Yeah, I'd say carry around a little recorder. Apparently, they make ones that are about the same size as a credit card and record 1 or 2 minutes of audio, which is pretty handy and small enough that you can carry it around always and not have it annoy you. Or even little flash memory sticks which are MP3 player/USB drives/recorders with a built in mic.

If you have this around you always, whenever you get an idea, you would then record it. If you're not near a guitar, hum, whistle or sing the melody, and record yourself describing the song and the arrangement, whatever it takes so that you can recreate it when you get back home.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4
davesellar
davesellar
08/25/2004 8:24 pm
thats a cool idea about the mini recorder but it cud b a problem if they find it hard to sing/hum a tune and then explain. but defiantely jot down ne little ideas u may have because eventually ull b able 2 use them. the same with lyric writing just write down any lyrics/lines you can think of and it will open ur mind up 2 different ideas, u may be able 2 use them 2 sumwhere along the line.
# 5
N0ISEhazard
N0ISEhazard
08/26/2004 12:06 am
Thanks for the replies everyone, they were very helpful! :)
-Johnny Rotten[/FONT]
# 6
09/28/2004 9:44 pm
about the song righting if you & your freainds realy want to have this band
thay cant put all the presher on you It's got to be a group efert everyone
contributs get some ideas for songs work on it on your own then meet together and desid on what you all like it helps if you like the same music
then work on the songs as a group you will soon have a song every one likes
as for the memory thing you need to learn how to right and read music I
sugest tab you can tab almost any enstument. if you learn that then any
where you are when you have a brain bust you can right it down and mainly
focus on what you play.

P.S. what do you play
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
:cool:
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/29/2004 12:03 am
I took the liberty to fix the spelling and some of the grammar. Sorry, I'm an a-hole.:

Originally Posted by: davesellarHey if you get the ideas but you lose them by the time you come to writing them you should buy this thing called "Absolute Pitch" on the net. It's a collection of CDs that you listen to during the day and before you sleep. You do this for about 4 weeks total and it helps you develop perfect pitch, which in turn gives you the ability to hear a note and instantly know what the note is. You are also supposed to be able to hum/sing any note without a root note. I got it about 2 weeks ago now and I haven't got perfect pitch yet but I'm quite confident it's working, maybe you should give it a go. It's about Ā£40 but if it works it will be well worth it.

The site from which I got the CD ishttp://www.absolutepitchpower.com/index.html as I said, though, I haven't developed perfect pitch completely yet, but I can see it is starting to work as I am picking out notes just by hearing them. Anyway, have a look and see what you think.

As for actually writing the songs, for me, I find that by listening to a wide variety of musical genres and then picking out certain songs and sort of analyzing them can be quite helpful. Write down any similarities between the songs you and your mates like, such as the intro guitar: does it have bits with just guitar? with just drums? etc. Write down each instrument and then what each instrument does at what time. This way you'll see what works well and what doesn't. Obviously this doesn't always work but by taking ideas (song order, how the guitar and bass works together, etc.) from different songs can work quite well.

As for you not being able to read music, it's not the end of the world. It's a very useful tool to have especially if auditioning new band members or trying to get in another band if your jammin' with your mates, though you can probably get away with just knowing the note names and remembering the riffs you come up with. A useful tool for learning to read and write music is http://www.powertabs.net/, download the powertab editor and you can learn songs from it and write your own down. Because it has a playback function, you can write your own stuff using tablature and listen to it to make sure it's right. This can also be helpful in writing new songs as you can hear what you have written before actually playing it on the guitar, then learn it later. Also, you have to change note values etc., just do this by experimenting and you'll find you'll pick it up quickly.

Anyway, I've spoken for way to long now. I hope I've been of some use to you.

dave

I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 8
N0ISEhazard
N0ISEhazard
09/29/2004 12:49 am
Originally Posted by: 1791P.S. what do you play

A type of rock. I wouldn't say punk music since the punk era belongs to the past. Thanks for the reply, by the way.
-Johnny Rotten[/FONT]
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/29/2004 12:55 am
Originally Posted by: N0ISEhazardA type of rock. I wouldn't say punk music since the punk era belongs to the past. Thanks for the reply, by the way.

What? What the hell does that mean? Is it like punk rock? If so, then perhaps it IS punk rock. The name "Punk" is connected to the sound, not the time period.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
N0ISEhazard
N0ISEhazard
09/29/2004 1:12 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWhat? What the hell does that mean? Is it like punk rock? If so, then perhaps it IS punk rock. The name "Punk" is connected to the sound, not the time period.

Yes, yes, like punk rock.
-Johnny Rotten[/FONT]
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/29/2004 1:34 am
Originally Posted by: N0ISEhazardYes, yes, like punk rock.

Ok, cool. Well then fortunately you won't have to worry but SO much about guitar and vocals, as they'll be pretty simple. One way to write your songs is to create a hook, or brief melody, that they should be sung with. Basically, repeat this hook over and over and replace lyrics with other things. My hooks are usually no more than three to five notes (see "Giant Fighting Robot": E-E-D-D-B-D-B-D-B-D-B, three notes). But of course you can write them however you wish as long as it's catchy, or not if you're going for the whole "Ambient" thing (which I doubt given the tastes in Punk Rock). Your chords are probably gonna be simple power chords or octaves.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 12
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/29/2004 3:55 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWhat? What the hell does that mean? Is it like punk rock? If so, then perhaps it IS punk rock. The name "Punk" is connected to the sound, not the time period.

OK, a few deep breaths are in order here...
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 13
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/19/2005 4:31 am
Playing the guitar well is a talent, it has little to do with education or being able to work with other people. If you agree with this then here it is.

Writing good songs is not a talent. Its a learned process. For you to write good songs individually you have to have some concept of how music is supposed to sound to become cool. If you personally can write a cool riff then can you write a harmony for it that will make it sound better. Can you write another part to follow it up with? If so then thats great, and if not you need to learn how. The best way for me to learn this was by trial and error. This is the same way I learned guitar. So I recommend just start writing things.

Your band can't write great songs as a band unless they have an understanding of what is stated in the paragraph above. You all have to be able to write your own songs (with the exception of the drummer as long as he understands dynamics, can solo like a mo fo, and understands harmony (teaching your drummer how to play bass is a good idea for harmonies).) Your songs will only be as good as the writing ability of the least qualified person in your band. The best thing that your band can do right now is jam free style at practice (again, learning by doing things.) Continue to develop your song writing skills indiviually in your free time, and try to keep other members motivated to do the same. Don't discredit ideas no matter how much you don't like it. It might not be cool to you but if the writter likes it then someone else will. No idea is a bad idea.

Good Musicains write good songs. Good bands write great songs.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 14
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/19/2005 4:35 am
i just read my post and it kindda looks like a finished song would dynamically if music were words lol
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 15
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
01/26/2005 4:03 am
i have ADD and take medication. i have found that taking medication does not affect my creativity at all, if anything, it helps it. it helpes me focus more and remember things. i have also found that taking medication has greately improved the quality of my life.
if you want to get better at writing songs, you could look at the lyrics of bands you like. i have written many songs, and find it a good outlet to vent my feelings and the things going on in my life.
good luck with your band!
1 Peter 2:16
# 16
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/02/2005 11:25 pm
Songwritting musically is a craft. A songwriter is like a carpenter building a house. The more tools you have, the more things you can do. That's it.

When you build a house, you have to start with a solid foundation. Same with music, one solid idea will build the rest of the song. Understanding the different aspects of music, dynamics, rhythm, melody, etc. Forms and how apply them is all part of the craft. And there are several tricks to doing so, and each one of these tricks is a different tool.

Those who say they write something and don't know how to combine it with something else don't have any tools. Listen to your favorite songs and think about how they got it to work, the tools are all in listening.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.