The Kopyright Liberation Front (KLF) - a must read!!!

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/05/2004 4:16 pm
Wow... I've just spent the past two and a half hours reading a book by the two members of the (now-defunct) KLF, called "The Manual - How to Have a Number One Single The Easy Way", then reading an FAQ which chronicles the group's history and such.... Fascinating and very relevant.

Here's the entire text of The Manual, written in 1988. It is a must-read in my opinion, even in spite of its somewhat flippant and casual attitude. Very good description of the inner workings of the music industry and what each part of the record-making process is and what you need to know to make it. Don't judge the introduction, or perhaps the fact that you hate KLF - read the book.

Another fascinating text - the KLF FAQ. Read this after reading the book. It covers the band history, mentality and their "intergrity"... the part about "Who Killed KLF?" is fascinating as well, covering their complete departure from the music industry in 1992.

Again, take some time and read the above.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/05/2004 5:22 pm
I just found another piece by the KLF. It's a film called "The White Room", and the script is found here.

Supposedly, this is a true story. Anyways, the deal (which can be found in the KLF FAQ link above) is that the KLF made a "road movie" after signing a mysterious contract. After making the movie, they played the premier of the film at a London club with the movie playing and them providing the soundtrack.

Later that evening, they were approached by a young man who told them a wild story which involved him, them and the movie they made. They worked his story into the movie by making two movies, and "Inner" and an "Outer" movie and combining it into one 52 minute film. The "Inner" film is the original film shot in 1998-1989, the "Outer" film portrays the dramatically reconstructed events described by the young man, which supposedly took place while KLF were filming their movie.

True or not, it made for a compelling and facscinting read...

[/sarcasm]
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/06/2004 4:06 am
Well, I seem to be the only one who cares about this, but I'm passionate enough for all 60,000 of us, or whatever crazy number of members we're up to by now, and I won't allow this thread to disappear to page 2 obscurity so quickly.

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
08/06/2004 10:53 am
Sounds like fun. It's only that I don't have time right now to read the book, but I am definetly going to.
ANd its the first time I encounter the name KLF.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 4
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
08/06/2004 11:22 am
Actually it kind of reminds me of Adorno's Dialectics of Enlightenment, the part about mass culture.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
08/06/2004 3:56 pm
And to help the eggman keep the thread alive, I'm posting to say I'll check this out later on.
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2004 9:35 pm
*Gets a devious smile as he realizes he will enter the world of pop superstardom*

Looks cool.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/10/2004 4:38 am
Still floggin' this...

[/sarcasm]
# 8
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
08/11/2004 6:03 pm
So is anyone going to try following the book? I can't believe I took the time to read the whole thing but I have to say, the damn thing could probably work. Everything they suggest makes sense. Too bad I would rather live in obscurity with my music before I made a number 1 pop hit like they instruct you to.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.