doom 3

nsx_swami
nsx_swami
08/10/2004 4:36 pm
So what are the system requirments for the game? What do you guys have for systems? I'm just curious because I have a AMD 2800xp but only a 64 meg video card and 512 megs o ram so I might be mid to low end for specs.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
08/10/2004 5:39 pm
Your video card is definitely low end. The rest of your system is fine, but because of your card the game would autodetect your system to run at low quality.

I've got an ATI 9800 Pro, and I'm able to run the game at 1024x768 and high quality.
# 2
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
08/10/2004 5:58 pm
Hmmmm....maybe it's time to sneak in a new video card when the wife isn't looking. Since we just bought a house I doubt that she would be happy if she saw me upgrading our 'puter just to play a new game. ;)
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
08/11/2004 1:45 am
Don't worry, it will proabably come out in five years for the Mac.
# 4
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/11/2004 2:34 am
you wanna know why there arent many games for the mac (I got this from a techtv show)...when they first started they were stupid/greedy IMHO..if you wanted some source code to where you could make games for the Mac platform Apple insisted that you had to pay them for it while the windows Pc what ever you call it gave it out for free..Now if i had a gaming company that first started..low budget..which would I choose?? money or free...now I would choose free seeing as I wouldnt have much money to start with..It then expanded from there...I will say tho that the MAC games are slowly growing..
I never understood why people hate Macs or PC's...both are fine I jsut prefer windows Pcs
they both have a tendency to crash (my friend has had to fix his comp 5 times in the past year MAC) and I also know this from experience....at my school we fix computers for a small donation...sometimes free...I have had to mess with both so i could care less about either of them..The reason I stick with windows PCs is because of the games and I know them better...I would never buy a G5..yeah there "graphically powerfull" and all that other crap but if there are barely any games then what? I wouldnt get to use its full power..too bad im not an artist..then it would come in handy
If i ever thought about professional recording then I might get a MAC or just go to a profesional studio and thet them do all the dirty work
this is all just my opinion now
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/12/2004 4:58 am
I'm likely going to sell my PS2 and all the games, as I'm finding them to be not fun at all anymore. I could get about $225-$250 for my PS2 and the games, which would add on to the $3500 that i have saved up for the custom.

I'm getting back into reading; Last summer, I read no less than 10,000 pages of books; this summer, i've read about 400. The reason? Work.

(Personal Rant)

I'd also like to say that I tried Magic Mushrooms last night for the first time, and they were an incredible conscious-changing device. Now, it's not something I'd be an advocate for or against, but they definitely did not diminish my ability as a musician when I woke up this morning. Rather, the contrary; Alot of the questions I had about possibilities were solved, and overall it was a fresh glance at the world.

For example, we were walking by this church (it was a cloudy day) and I looked up and the clouds formed to Ice, and the chimney-thing on the church
appeared as if it were holding it all together. Or, for example, I had a vision about the possibility of words lining words, or three-dimensional sentences (that is to say that every line has infinite possibility for extension, and that words, phrases, and sentences can be erected from the bases of other words and sentences.) In order to explain this, first you have to free the notion that writing a sentence is linear, and think of the possibility of writing a base sentence that another is built upon.

Take a piece of paper, write a sentence. Now put that paper flat on a desk. Now put your head on the very edge of the desk, seeing the lines you've written, and imagine the ink as a base of an architectual piece, as if the base sentence is really slabs of concrete.

An example is the letter N as a base letter. You can erect an A on top of the N because A requires two columns. Do not think of it like this-

A
N

as that would be taking it too literally ant less imaginitively as this requires. The best way to describe it would be to say that the base letters would be written parallel to the ground, and the letter ontop of it would be perpendicular to the ground; It would something like this-

A
. .

without that big space in there. Does anybody get me?

~Incidents
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/12/2004 6:05 am
I think you pretty much obliterated any hope at credibility right around "I tried Magic Mushrooms last night for the first time".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
BluesMetal
BluesMetal
08/12/2004 8:52 am
lol, reminds me of the acid days of my youth.. I still laugh at myself over some of the theological answers I thought I found on that stuff.

My favorite RPG for nes was Pool of Raidence.. I was lost in that game for weeks, but then I was a D&Der back then too.

Just curious here, but why would you spend thousands on a computer when you could build the same thing for far less, they are so very easy to put together?
# 8
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/12/2004 9:53 pm
yes they are easy but some people dont know anything about computers and the way they work so i guess they rely on companies to do that for them..lol
like if u put in a IDE cable in with the red stripe on the IDE cable pointin away from the power source then ur gonna have some problems but nowadays the IDE cables are idiot proof
Id like to get me a radion x800 with a new Athlon 64 bit processor..UNFORTUNATELY im not made of money so i will have to stick with my parents comp....:(
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 9
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/13/2004 3:17 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnejust out of curiosity i tried what you suggested (seriously). i fail to see the magic.

IMHO, from my own personal experience, pretty much anything you figure out whilst on mind altering substances doesn't translate well to reality.

The idea is not really something that popped in my head via mushrooms, but something I'd been trying to figure out for a long time before that. What it's really about is conservation of writing materials such as paper, or helping out with people who are learning a new language.

Pony, I have a slightly better example that I thought of at work; Take about five cubes, and write one letter per cube. This could actually be useful in the right context, for example, translation. If your word is-

HOUSE

then the blocks perpendicular to the letters can easily say (with a Space at the end)

CASA
---
Now I haven't come to conclusions as to some of the more difficult situations, like "Pants" and "Pantelones", where the letter difference is extreme, but I believe I could think of something for that.

Another cool thing about that would be learning another language. If you are really stumped on a word, then boom, you can see a similar word in your own language.

What I mainly thought of was this; The possibility that you could take two lines and stuff them into one; if you could do this, and do it well, you would efficiently revolutionize the way books are, and cut paper use nearly in half. While yes, ink use would be pretty close to the same, at least you'd be saving paper.

For example, if line one says

The blue dog has a headache

and line two says

Do you have any aspirin?

Let's pretend that each sentence takes up one full line of a page; If you make line two the base and line one the 2nd story, then you are flipping pages less, shifting your eyes up and down less, and carrying a much thinner coppy of War & Peace in your backpack.

I believe the most efficient way of working this idea is with high-tech computers. For example, when you're on a website that is "secret" and requires a password, you could fill a page full of information, and have a special word that needs to be highlighted; Once it's highlighted, the user would type in the password over the highlighted word, and if it's correct, you are then prompted for your real ID and password. This would help prevent possible identity theft and things of that nature.

You can have your stereotypical viewpoints as to the thoughts of people who've used mind-altering substances, but realize that by shutting an idea down before giving it a chance doesn't hurt me one bit; Now Pony tried it, and didn't really get it. That's cool, and the above wasn't aimed at Pony. It's one thing to not get it, and it's another thing to not consider trying it because of the circumstances of how it was thought up.

~Incidents
# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/13/2004 3:26 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenYou can have your stereotypical viewpoints as to the thoughts of people who've used mind-altering substances, but realize that by shutting an idea down before giving it a chance doesn't hurt me one bit; Now Pony tried it, and didn't really get it. That's cool, and the above wasn't aimed at Pony. It's one thing to not get it, and it's another thing to not consider trying it because of the circumstances of how it was thought up.

~Incidents

It's not so much "stereotypical" as it is "true".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 11
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
08/13/2004 3:31 am
Heard Doom 3 is cool. I'm a big Medal of Honor fan...waiting for Pacific Assault to hit the shelves this fall.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/13/2004 3:41 am
tried it ( and "got it") and realized that substances that scramble your consciousness do just that.
Net end result ... you come to conclusions that are ultimately bollox.

Fortunately I am now sufficiently old enough and clever enough to know and recognize scrambled, bollox thoughts for what they are.

Ever see the film / read the book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vagus" ? In the film, even a great consumer of every mind altering substance under the sun (i.e. Hunter S Thompson) states that no answer are provided at 3 bucks a hit, just an acid trip ! That was quite profound !!

Im not saying don't do it, I am saying be careful and do not romanticize the drug issue cos you can get both your self and your parents into an awful lot of trouble, especially in the USA !!!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.