I'm In A Band!!!

kingdavid
kingdavid
07/20/2004 4:01 pm
Early April, I submitted an entry to a reality TV show that's in progress in South Africa(www.projectfame.co.za). Although I didn't make it to the final show, I did meet quite a few interesting boys and girls in the ensuing auditions.(Note to self: Beautiful girls do play the guitar).
Me and two of the guys I met(and the only ones whose phone numbers I felt inclined to ask for-I didn't ask any of the girls, stupid me), have decided to form a band.
We met the other day to talk about it( we HAVE chemistry!!), and after the talking, we went to a club called Cactus in Nairobi(did you get to sample it, Eggman?), where a band was playing. One of my bandmates(it feels good calling someone that) knows one of the guys in the band, and after they finished plaaying, we got on stage and played Matchbox 20's 3 AM. The crowd liked it. I WAS ECSTATIC!!It was my first time ever to play for a crowd. It wasn't as scary as I'd thought my first time would be(I guess some girls could say that too :D ).
We're starting serious practice as a group at the end of next month, when all of us will be readily available. By serious practice, I mean three to four hours a day, four or five days a week.
I have a feeling we'll do well together(doesn't everyone?).
I hope we'll come to gel and perform as a unit.
I hope we'll come to create good music.
And if we make some money out of it, we'll thank the man above.
And if you like me, wish us luck.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/20/2004 4:03 pm
Sounds awesome, best of luck dude !

....and remember the golden rules, practice, practice, practice and don't get drunk before you perform !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/20/2004 6:09 pm
:D Good on you! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/20/2004 9:02 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidWe met the other day to talk about it( we HAVE chemistry!!), and after the talking, we went to a club called Cactus in Nairobi(did you get to sample it, Eggman?), where a band was playing.

Nah, didn't really stay too long in the N-dot. I did go to Carnivore's, though... mmmm.... crocodile, emu and turkey gizzards, all on the same platter...
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
07/21/2004 12:55 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon don't get drunk before you perform !

Huh? I thought that was the whole point of playing out. You get drunk, get laid, and hope you didn't have your beer goggles on before you open your eyes the next morning so you don't have to chew off your arm... I hate those "coyote ugly" mornings...
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2004 2:51 am
It is all about the order you do things in !

I'm not saying don't do it I'm just saying it is easier to get layed if you don't get drunk before going on stage !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
kingdavid
kingdavid
07/21/2004 10:37 am
I absolutely can't play if I'm half drunk!! I've tried it, and it sounds very very sloppy. And considering that your ability to judge sloppiness is hampered when you're drunk, then that has got to be really sloppy.
One of the guys is an albino(I don't know if that's a "politically correct" word to use), and he has long hair like me. So when I first saw him, my mind went to me and him(and others) being on an album cover, me and my black afro, him and his white afro,and no dyes involved(ok, I'll dye mine pitch black). It struck me as a very nice image. I happen to work at a photo studio, so I tend to think about some of these things.
Unlike me(my voice needs work), these dudes can sing.
These days my practice sessions feel different, have a sense of purpose.
I'm loving every moment.
# 7
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
07/24/2004 11:55 am
Well I guess you could be politically correct and say he's "pigmentally challenged" but I don't think Albinos have a problem with just being called "Albino"
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/24/2004 5:22 pm
As with most things, it depends on the individual. Both Johnny Winter and his brother Edgar were very open about it, but Roy Orbison dyed his hair black and was never seen in public without a pair of dark glasses.

Take your cues from the guy as you get to know him better. He can't be entirely publicity-shy - he's in a band, right?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/25/2004 2:47 am
[QUOTE=kingdavid]Note to self: Beautiful girls do play the guitar).
QUOTE]

Well, no ****! :cool:

# 10
butterflyangel
butterflyangel
07/27/2004 3:29 am
That's Great Kingdavid And I Am Cheerin For Ya!!! And I Do Agree That Being Drunk Is A Bad Mix Before Performing, Will Throw You Off Key Lol!! Does For Me Cause I Play By Ear Lol!!! And To Answer You , Yes Beautiful Chics Play The Guitar Cause I'm One Of Them Lol!!! Anyway Man Best Of Luck To You And Your New Band!!!

Love Is Music, Music Is Life, And The Rest Is All Just God!!!!
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.