The list of new guitars

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2004 8:05 pm
I've had a lot of thought about what my next guitar should be, and I have come up with a list of semi and all hollowbody electrics.

Here's the list:

Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Epiphone WildKat
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Ibanez Artcore AG75
Epiphone AlleyKat
Epiphone Zephyr
Epiphone Flamekat
Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II
Epiphone Emperor Regent
Fender 69/72 (whichever) Thinline Telecaster
Aria FA-71

I made that list using harmony central reviews, and some online guitar places plus just thing I've heard.

I MAINLY play jazz, jazz-rock, and blues/blues-rock. BUT I want it to be a versatile guitar, to say the least. The more stuff I can get out of it, the better.

I will be using it in a big band jazz thing, along with small groups, and by myself.

So if anyone has any experience with those guitars, or can narrow down that list to a few, that would be great.

If someone has another guitar they think I should consider, tell me.

Also talk about feedbacxk and the stock pickups.

Thanx a lot! This is gonna be my next big buck thing, and I don't wanna blow it.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2004 8:45 pm
I have just sold a 72 re-issue tele, it was truly a dog !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
07/12/2004 12:09 am
The Sheraton's have a really cool warm "jazz"(if clean) and "blues"(if dirty) neck pickup. I find the bridge pickup very dead and would change it if I had one.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/12/2004 5:42 am
Very few (if any!) off-the-shelf guitars can 'do it all'. The Yamaha SBG1000 that I call Brand X (because it sets the standard for everything else), is very versatile, but it's also been heavily modified. I bought a second one (same model, same year) planning to keep it stock, but that proposition only lasted a few months. I have 9 guitars at the moment, and they all sound just different enough that I don't want to sell any of them.

I have a personal bias towards Yamaha and Washburn, but that's just me. I see Ibanez and Epiphone cropping up a lot in your list. They're good too. If you personally try out the actual guitar you're going to buy, you should do alright.

Don't expect that the axe you buy now is going to be the only one you will ever own or play. Your tastes, your techniques, and your financial circumstances are all going to change. Just get something you can afford, that works for you now, and you can modify or replace it later when you want something a little different.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/12/2004 2:20 pm
Maybe I don't really care if it can do everything. I mean, I won't be using this guitar to shred, or play death metal.

I'm leaning towards either the Aria, but I ike the thinline tele if I can get good jazz stuff out of it.

There are so many Epi's and Ibanez on the list, I'll have to do some testing.

Thanx a lot so far.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 5
MasterChief
MasterChief
07/16/2004 9:06 pm
I think that the 72 Tele Thinline is one of fender's finest guitars. Its really nice. Great clean and distorted.

but something that can do it all... or almost everything, would be the Schecter C-1 Series. they aren't hollow-bodies but they do everything.
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2004 9:22 pm
You can probably find my old Tele at Dave's Guitar Store in Lacrosse

http://www.davesguitar.com/
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/17/2004 12:02 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonYou can probably find my old Tele at Dave's Guitar Store in Lacrosse

http://www.davesguitar.com/
Out-bloody-rageous!! :eek:

Some of those prices are so whacked-out, you could order custom parts from warmoth, pay a luthier to assemble it and set it up, and still have enough coin left for a decent studio amp!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2004 3:42 am
Umm forget the whole I want this guitar to do everything line, 'cuz I don't.

Stuff I hope to get out of it:
Jazz (top, if anything this style, priority)
Blues
Rockabilly
just small dabbles in hard or classic rock (not that much though, on the occasion)

And I have really come down to The '72 thinline tele reissue (the one with dual humbuckers), the Aria Fa-71 (though it may be strictly jazz), or Epiphone Dot

I would really like to try a Gretsch but they're so expensive, I have found one called the electromatic hollowbody, but it has single coil pickups, whcich may not be fat enough for me.

I'll look into some other brands to, but as of now that's kind of where I'm going, keep the info. coming!

thanx
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/21/2004 7:57 am
Originally Posted by: The AceUmm forget the whole I want this guitar to do everything line, 'cuz I don't.

Stuff I hope to get out of it:
Jazz (top, if anything this style, priority)
Blues
Rockabilly
just small dabbles in hard or classic rock (not that much though, on the occasion)...
OK, so we all had a good laugh about Daisy Rock guitars on another thread. When I first heard about them, I thought the 'petal' body style was all they had, and I thought they were a joke. I'm not laughing now.

Take another look at the RetroH guitars. That's a serious axe for $250! I wouldn't worry about the fact the packing is no longer factory sealed. That usually means that a box corner got torn in shipping. The contents would have been inspected before they offered it for sale. If it had been damaged, you'd see it listed as a "scratch'n'dent" special, called "New B Stock". Grab the $50-off deal!

For another $100, ($350) you get full-size humbuckers in their Stardust Elite. I don't know how you feel about 'pearloid' guitars. The Crimson Burst looks pretty good, actually. Although a fully solid-body axe with full-size humbuckers doesn't have that Rockabilly sound you can get with a hollow-body and mini-hums. And the process of laminating plastic to the body is not going to do good things to the sustain, or the tone.

Then there's the Rock Candy Special! For $400, you get Seymor Duncan pickups, mahogany neck and body, with a quilted maple top! I don't know what the advertising regulations are like in the U.S. (I live in Canada), but I think that if that top was some kind of 'cheat' (like a laminated photographic simulation), they would have to give some kind of indication that it was not actual quilted maple veneer. For a new $400 guitar, that looks pretty good to me.

I still hold that the best way to buy a guitar is to spend some time examining and playing the actual guitar you're going to spend your money on. And I [u]know[/u] you can get more guitar for your money by buying a good used instrument. So, by all means, keep poking through the racks at your local music shops, and search eBay as well. These guitars from Daisy Rock are just more options available to you.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2004 6:59 pm
I would consider them, if my ego were not so large.
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2004 7:13 pm
Daisy Rock man, that is where it is at !!
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/22/2004 12:28 am
Originally Posted by: The AceI would consider them, if my ego were not so large.
Get the RetroH & gig bag for $250. You can cover the headstock logo with a
Jazz players eat their dead!
sticker. The money you save can form the base of your amplifier fund.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 13
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2004 12:47 am
I want the pink daisy one.... and hands off or I'll fight you for it !
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/22/2004 3:53 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI want the pink daisy one.... and hands off or I'll fight you for it !
Oh, yeah, we'd look a right bunch, in the dock with a pink Daisy on the evidence table!

"Good morning, m'Lud, we 'ave a couple o' nasty ones 'ere t'day - found Drunk, Disorderly, and Contravenin' The Peace by means of bashing each other about the 'ead wi' this 'ere geetar."

:D

Thank you, Dr_simon! I got a mental picture of John Cleese and Benny Hill playing our parts in the above scene. I'm still laughing, the tears pouring down my cheeks. WhoooooooooHAHAHAHAHA! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2004 11:52 am
Tee Heee, tremendous,

Even if I am being played by Benny Hill !
# 16
AspenRich4214
AspenRich4214
07/22/2004 3:24 pm
Since you play Blues, or anything like that, a Telecaster isnt for you. Hollow bodies have a better sound for anything like Blues, Jazz, or Old School Rock. Personally, I would go with an Ibanez. I have played alot of Ibanez's in the past are they are great(Getting an Ibanez Iceman soon). But if you don't like them, go with an Epiphone or Gibson because those were my other choice on guitars. Ibanez and Epiphone/Gibson/ESP are my 2 most favorite other than Fender.

If you like the Telecaster, i'm not sure but I think they make a hollow body Tele.
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/22/2004 4:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonTee Heee, tremendous,

Even if I am being played by Benny Hill !
Actually, I had Cleese playing the not-so-good Doctor. Anyone who has known me for more than an hour would recognise Benny's Chaplinesque grin. :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2004 5:11 pm
I think the charges of drunkenly fighting over a guitar would be the biggest giveaway to those who knew me in my youth !

Do we get chased by a gang of scantily clad young wimen at the end of the show accompanied by a well known piece of saxophone music or was that "the meaning of life" ?
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/22/2004 5:30 pm
There's reasons I cast Benny Hill in this scene! We were 'let off with a caution' and promptly disappeared into a swirling mob of adoring, leggy, lovlies. *sigh* :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.