The list of new guitars

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2004 10:30 pm
Originally Posted by: AspenRich4214Since you play Blues, or anything like that, a Telecaster isnt for you. Hollow bodies have a better sound for anything like Blues, Jazz, or Old School Rock. Personally, I would go with an Ibanez. I have played alot of Ibanez's in the past are they are great(Getting an Ibanez Iceman soon). But if you don't like them, go with an Epiphone or Gibson because those were my other choice on guitars. Ibanez and Epiphone/Gibson/ESP are my 2 most favorite other than Fender.

If you like the Telecaster, i'm not sure but I think they make a hollow body Tele.

I don't think you realize this but the tele I'm looking at is hollow... '72 [U]thinline[/U] telecaster... it also has dual humbuckers check it out here !

About the Daisy Rock thing... those guitars aren't my style... I really don't care as much about that there that brand... but there are plenty of others that may not be factory sealed that r good.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2004 11:19 pm
well all the more for thoes that like em !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/23/2004 2:30 am
Yes, you can have the one extra guitar I will leave behind.

Have I made your day John?
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 3
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2004 2:02 am
The local guitar shop in NH doesn't sell any hollowbodies... I'll have to wait till I'm back in Mass for guitar center (damn summer)...

I've seen a lot of low priced hollowbodies on ebay, but I don't know about the brands (including Arbor and Jay Turser?)

Does anybody else know a good place to find used instruments besides ebay?

Hey Lord, I've been looking for info. on your Yamaha, but I can't find it anywhere, know of a place to look?

One last thing - how about the lower priced korean made gretsch guitars?

Thanx a lot guys, I know I haven't really let this thread go, but I still am in the looking process, and the music shops in my areas don't show a huge selection of hollows.
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2004 2:16 am
you could try music123.com or 8thstreet.com or even zzsounds.com all three are better than musiciansfriend.com who are terrible.

With these places you don't get to try before you buy however you do get to return the axe (45 days for music123) if you are not happy with it !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/31/2004 6:18 am
Originally Posted by: The Ace... Hey Lord, I've been looking for info. on your Yamaha, but I can't find it anywhere, know of a place to look? ...
[font=trebuchet ms]Both of my SBG1000 guitars are black 1984 models. Depending on the status of various lawsuits launched by The Gibson (if you can't beat 'em sue 'em) MI Co, the series was called SG or SBG. They are actually more like a double-cutaway Les Paul than a SG. My review on Harmony Central is here. Mine is the one that starts with:

[/font]Price Paid: 626.50 (Canadian)
Purchased from: Steve's Music Store in Ottawa, Ontario

[font=trebuchet ms]There are a lot more reviews on HC under slight variations of the model number. Look at SG and SBG. The 1000 was a mid-price model. The 500 was entry-level, the 2000 had thru-body neck construction and a brass block under the bridge. The 3000 was a fancy version of the 2000, with beautiful abalone blocks set into the binding strips around the body. They're all great guitars, and one of the few instruments that you can buy on eBay with a fair level of confidence. Build quality was very consistent, so unless it has been damaged or buggered-up by shabby modification, you can be sure it's a good one.

Both of mine have DiMarzio pickups, and I have added some switching options, but the inherent build quality and craftsmanship is all there. There is more sustain than you'll ever need, and as the original note fades away, harmonics fade in, so you can do some eye-popping stuff on slow solos that will have the owners of lesser guitars wanting to build bonfires with their axes. :D These guitars are perfect for players who set-and-forget their amps - you can do it all from the guitar end of the jack cord.

The Yamaha SG & SBG series predate the double-cutaway LP's, so it could be (and was) argued that Gibson was copying Yamaha, but then Gibson is full of **** in my opinion anyway. The lawyers were called in to close down what the guitar shop could not compete with. I've owned a 1962? SG (which was a poorly-designed POS from Day 1), and a 1971 LP Studio (which had truly sorry-assed pickups). Neither one was worth the cost of enough lighter fluid to rid the world of them. When you're too young and inexperienced to know any better, you can be talked into parting with your coin for unworthy equipment. By 1984 I was still ready to give Gibson one more chance, but I rejected a Les Paul Custom in favour of an obviously superior Yamaha SBG1000. And it's such a great guitar that I bought another one on eBay a couple of years ago. I think I posted a detailed comparison on this site a year or two ago - you can probably find it if you use the search icon at the top of the page.

Your mileage may vary. Bear in mind that my favourite production guitar may not be your favourite. For instance, if you think a 24-7/16" scale length feels crowded in the upper register, you're likely to prefer something based on Fender designs.

furthermore:
These search results should give you about a week's worth of reading. Gibson took a lot of flak from a lot of members - stuff like selling factory seconds at full price will have that effect! :mad:

That 1984 comparison between a Les Paul Custom and the Yamaha SBG1000 is here.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2004 9:54 pm
Here we go, I went and looked on Music123, did some review searching, asked around with some people and came up with this -

Jay Turser JT-140 Colonel - $525 - I've always wanted a Gretsch white falcon, but can't afford 'em, this guitar looks exactly the same in white, and the reviews say it has a similar tone, that could be used for jazz and blues (along with rockabilly)

Washburn J6 - $800 - This is a bit pricey for me, but I may convince myself to save up the 100-200 dollars more for it, just 'cuz it may be more reliable

Fender '72 thinline tele reissue - $670 -I really would prefer a hollowbody (as opposed to a semi), but everything about this guitar just "works" so I don't really know

So there it is, I love the Jay turser in the looks department, but I don't know about reliability (because my last two guitars that I decided to get for cheaper have horrible tuning problems)

The Washburn looks cool (not as cool as the Jay) but its just pricey, and if I can get the same reliability out of the Jay turser with a good jazz tone, I'd rather it.

And the fender. I've never been a big fan of fender, so I might want to see what they're all about. I kind of like big hollows better, but the fender is less prone to feed back.

I did find info. on the yamaha (on google I had been saying 100 instead of 1000), but I'm not really looking for another solidbody maybe later I'll look into it.

That's it!

Thanx a lot, hope this isn't too annoying to ya guys
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
Tobruk
Tobruk
06/11/2005 2:45 am
Hey Lord, is Steve's in Ottawa a good store? I mean advice wise.

I'm a beginner who already made one mistake based on bad advice (bought a cheap classical).

Do you know if they carry the Ibanez Artops? I think one of those will be my choice for 1st electric just as soon as I learn some chops to play.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/12/2005 5:24 am
Originally Posted by: TobrukHey Lord, is Steve's in Ottawa a good store? I mean advice wise.

I'm a beginner who already made one mistake based on bad advice (bought a cheap classical).

Do you know if they carry the Ibanez Artops? I think one of those will be my choice for 1st electric just as soon as I learn some chops to play.
[font=trebuchet ms]I moved to Calgary in 2000, so anything could have changed since then, but:

Ask for Gary. He's been selling guitars there since the early 80's, so if he's still around, he's a good guy to get to know. He loves guitars and he's made a carreer out of matching them up with new owners. He sold me my first SBG1000 back in '84.[/font] :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.