getting the best sound out of a crappy computer microphone

TheWizard
TheWizard
07/08/2004 6:38 pm
I just got cakewalk and it's great, the only problem is that sound from when i have my electric amped is terrible

the sound from my acoustic is suprizingly clear and good, but when something gets amped its just bad

is there any tricks for mike placement that gets the best sound from my amp
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/08/2004 7:40 pm
I'd buy a pod (I did they are great, not the same as playing through an amp as there response is totally different however you can pick up a pod v2 for next to nothing on ebay). Failing that remember that most of the noise you hear is contributed by the room you are in. Experiment with the mic in different positions (not necessarily all directly facing the amp). Also try recording the amp in different places (like in the can, in a cupboard, in your front room etc).

My current way involved getting a large diaphragm (sp?) condenser mic (shure KSM57... not cheap !) set to an omnidirectional pattern, parallel with the top right of my speaker cab. I do this at low volume (well I have to) so I'm not worried about the SPL popping my capsule. If my neighbors and wife are out then it is possible to use an SM57, (much cheaper but not so sensitive, much more self noise) in the same position.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
jonnyh
jonnyh
07/09/2004 12:45 am
hey dude with the cakewalk guitar studio i'll make u a deal
Deal1:i give you Goldwave(sound program) u can add flange, u can mechanise u can to tons of other different effects that i haven't even used yet, i'll give u that for cakewalk

Deal2: i give u audacity and goldwave audacity can add wah wah and do doffere nt amp thingys and filter things

what a deal! ok is that a deal? post bak
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/09/2004 1:58 am
I got GoldWave for free...

Mind you, the shareware version, but with plenty of (half-decent) effects.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4
TheWizard
TheWizard
07/09/2004 8:17 pm
dude cakewalk has all those affects on it already and i downloaded it off kazaa (keep that on the down low hehe)

ok do you guys know if there are any kind of jacks that allow me to plug two mikes into my computer?

i have two microphones now and some stereo recording would probaly increase sound quality
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 5
BluesMetal
BluesMetal
07/12/2004 11:08 am
If your amp has a headphone jack then you should run a line to the line-in on your sound card. I got a rockman and just run it on clean sound and use my effects through it rather than my amp when I record on the computer and ran the headphone line into my sound card.
If there is no line-in on your sound card just make a mono jack and plug the headphone amp into your mic port.
# 6
TequilaChaser
TequilaChaser
10/17/2004 4:36 pm
Originally Posted by: BluesMetalIf your amp has a headphone jack then you should run a line to the line-in on your sound card. I got a rockman and just run it on clean sound and use my effects through it rather than my amp when I record on the computer and ran the headphone line into my sound card.
If there is no line-in on your sound card just make a mono jack and plug the headphone amp into your mic port.

using this line-in method from the headphone jack of my practice amp, will I need to keep the volume down on the amp? to keep from over powering the soundcard? I am trying to get as best sound out of it as possible. Also, are you saying I can record in stereo by using a mic infront of or around the amp along with the line-in?

One more question.....I have made some .wav format type of 4 or 5 songs, but when I open them in FruityLoops 4.1 Producer and open them onto a new channel, I can not get them to play all the way thru with out it starting to overlap, the songs are 3 1/2 to 4 minutes long, ut FruityLoops wants to only go around 30 seconds before it repeats? what can I do here?

any help is appreciated
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]TequilaChaser[/FONT]
# 7
TequilaChaser
TequilaChaser
10/20/2004 12:23 pm
Recording from amp to PC soundcard

found my answer
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]TequilaChaser[/FONT]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.