View post (Please tips for Ear Training! (Relative Pitch))

View thread

beginner
beginner
07/06/2004 11:04 am
Originally Posted by: noticingthemistakeYes. But remember to first get a good grip on the basic triads first. Both the A7 and Am7 chords have A and G in them, the difference is in the basic triad. The dominant is a major triad with a minor 7th added, the minor 7th is a minor triad plus the minor 7th. In the first responce I said to first learn the basic triads and then move on to extended chords. I'm sure you know this, I'm just rewritting it too make sure. Cause if you don't know the sounds of the basic triads and you go str8 to extended chords. You'll be trying to swallow too much and you won't learn it.

But yes, you do this with all the chords. Even as you move up to 9th chords and beyond. An Adom9 chord, you would play an A7 chord first. Then play A and B and listen to the sound those 2 notes make. Then play an Adom9 and listen for that same sound in that chord. Seeing how they blend together you will learn how a dom9 sounds.

Point is you won't be able to grasp a dom7 chord, if you don't already know what a major triad sounds like, and you won't be able to grasp a dom9 if you don't already grasp dom7 chords.

It is as simple as it sounds, but you have to have patience and be willing to take small steps to really learn it.

Sorry if this post seems redundant, just making sure you fully understand the process.

Yeah, of course I know this, but nevertheless it´s good that you repeat things, because I have already misunderstooden some tips for theory, technique or whatever. So it´s really important to be sure that the questioner understood your explanation, especially for ear training, where it could have fatal results.

I even decided to work first on the intervals (all ascending, and the high ones, which are the most important) and the essential intervals descending( inverse intervals, where you don´t need to know all by ear, as I was told) before starting the work on chords. I found out that a good exercise for intervals and improvisation is improvising and at the same time listening how the intervals sound and how some combinations of them work together,.....