View post (Please tips for Ear Training! (Relative Pitch))

View thread

beginner
beginner
07/03/2004 4:24 pm
Please give me some tips how to make these exercises ( they are in a program called "Ear Trainer") less difficult or tell me how I should learn them.

1.) Intervals: I´m quite satiesfied with the results of this exercise. I can now name nearly every interval from min 2nd to octave (ascending), but I still have some trouble with recognizing these intervals: maj2nd, maj3rd, tritone, min and maj 7th. This is because I don´t find a melody where one of these intervals is very important, such as the min 3rd (first two notes) in the "Smoke on the water" riff.

So I´d be grateful, if you could give me similar examples for the missing intervals, or other tips.

2.) Chords: I´ve no troubles how to distinguish major and minor, because of the happy and sad difference, but it´s more difficult when I add Augmented.

Is there any other distinctive sound for the other chords(Augm, Dimi, maj 7, m7,...) ?

3.) Scales: Here I have already troubles how to distinguish major and minor. So please some tips for learning scales( if I should learn one at a time, if I should just listen to it without paying attention on whole, whole, half, whole, whole..., or if I should pay attention to this,.....) would be appreciated.