Finger tips of a Newbie!

dean.hewitt
dean.hewitt
03/28/2020 3:45 pm

Hi,

My name is Dean and I'm 44.

I've never ever played an instrument despite loving music all my life.

So for my 44th birthday my wife got me a basic acoustic setup.

Lovely East Coast G1 guitar made here in the UK with an stand, case, books the lot.

A week later I realised I needed more than books and youtube so signed up :)

So it's going well (ish). I'm playing 15-45 minutes a day on average. Major chords, spider legs practice, strumming patterns and basically playing about and just enjoying my guitar.

Now we are on the third week and I've gone through the fingertip pain barrier and out the other side. However the feeling in my tips has gone and the calluses are not going.

Will it always be like this or will I get feeling back and just a tougher outer layer of skin?

Pic is of my fingertips right now. tough skin with little feeling at the tips and no pain.

It's actualy making it harder to practice spider legs warmup as I cant quite feel when Im hitting the string square on.

Apologies for the pic if you havent had dinner yet!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/28/2020 4:59 pm

Hi Dean

I made this for fellow learners.

Welcome and best of luck

https://youtu.be/uyp7Ky2WCKc

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
03/28/2020 8:17 pm
Originally Posted by: dean.hewitt

Will it always be like this or will I get feeling back and just a tougher outer layer of skin?

G'day Dean,

I can only answer from my own perspective and what I've observed of others.

No. Yes (with 'deficit'). Yes.

Going back 18 months, mine used to look like that for a while. They don't any more.

In time the skin on the tips will toughen and those calluses will disappear to be replaced by unbroken skin on resilient toughened fingertips. IME the fretting fingertips' sensation of touch will remain [u]desensitised[/u]. Goes with the territory as long as you play guitar I think -I haven't stopped playing contiguously sufficiently long enough to know what would occur if I were to stop completely or for a prolonged period e.g. a year.

Whilst it's untrue to say there will be permanent complete or partial loss of feeling as would occur with nerve damage referred to medically as a deficit, as I've experienced it, there is definitely a reduced fingertip sensitivity compared for example with those of your non-fretting hand.

Now I can't answer whether the tips might still shred to the point of breaking skin in the case of a professional musician who plays much more than I might in my amateur's man cave, but to give the above perspective, I routinely play anything between an hour minimum, and frequently up to 2x 1.5 hour to 3x 1 hour sessions over the course of any day most days a week, electric and acoustic. Lately it's been mostly electric. Generally, I no longer feel any soreness from that level of activity, and haven't for an aeon. [u]The exception[/u], experienced only recently, takes [u]a lot more[/u] intense, concentrated, play time.

I've the kind of temperament which will practice things persistently in pursuit of the objective -with breaks, over and over and over until I satisfied I've achieved competency with it rote. Not the '1000 times' in a session hyperbole, although even if I wasn't counting, a 'heck of lot' even within a single session before losing concentration as fatigue sets in. e.g. Putting this together and getting the timing and nuance of it right when I was learning it recently meant just that. After three or four days of multiple lengthy sessions performing those intro short and long slides, I felt increased tenderness in the slide and bend tips sufficient to give it a rest for a couple of days although I didn't want to. I could still comfortably play the rest of it and other songs, scales etc, and if feeling roughened and hard, the skin still never actually broke. A couple of days rest from the intro slides over and over complimented by application of some urea cracked heel cream to those tips, and I was good to go again.

Once one hits this stage, I think it would take an obsessive amount of professional practice or excessive performance play time to cause the fingertips to shred skin as illustrated in our images.

That's been my experience.

# 3
dean.hewitt
dean.hewitt
03/29/2020 7:14 pm

Thanks for the videos.

Looks like I just need to work through it.

Cheers,

Dean

# 4
Herman10
Herman10
03/30/2020 1:44 am

Bed the wife already regretted it giving you the guitar because with those fingertips it's not a pleasant feeling if you touch her LOL

Herman

# 5
dean.hewitt
dean.hewitt
04/11/2020 2:57 pm

Its week 4 now and the fingers are still similar.

I'm getting used to the calluces and desensitised finger tips.

I'm using hand moisturiser every now and then to help stop the cracking.

I have lost a bit of the calluce on my ring finger as it cracked then caught on some clothes and tore a bit. Doesn't seem to hurt to play so I guess its ok.

# 6
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/11/2020 7:38 pm
Originally Posted by: dean.hewitt

Its week 4 now and the fingers are still similar.

I'm getting used to the calluces and desensitised finger tips.

I'm using hand moisturiser every now and then to help stop the cracking.

I have lost a bit of the calluce on my ring finger as it cracked then caught on some clothes and tore a bit. Doesn't seem to hurt to play so I guess its ok.

A couple of days ago I kind of shed that outer layer of dead skin that had formed on my finger tips. This is about 6 months of playing for 30 to 60 minutes a day most days. My fingers look better and the calluses are still there but not so gross looking. I have definitely lost some sensitivity in my fingertips and I know what you mean about not always being able to feel when your fingers are square on.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.