Beginner kit list

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Discussion > Beginner kit list

paul_299

Full Access

Hi all. Please bear with me but I'm new to learning guitar. I just need advice of the bare essentials I need.

I've settled on a guitar; the Taylor Academy 10 and I'm here so thats the absolute minimum coevered. I'm also planning on buying a multi pack of picks, guitar stand, strap, peg winder and tuner.

With regards to the tuner which style is more accurate? Clip on or stand alone?

Have I missed anything?

Thank you all for your patience.

Hi all. Please bear with me but I'm new to learning guitar. I just need advice of the bare essentials I need.

I've settled on a guitar; the Taylor Academy 10 and I'm here so thats the absolute minimum coevered. I'm also planning on buying a multi pack of picks, guitar stand, strap, peg winder and tuner.

With regards to the tuner which style is more accurate? Clip on or stand alone?

Have I missed anything?

Thank you all for your patience.

jhs.martinez

Full Access

been guitaring for just a little over a month. got a metronome 2 days ago and it has already help me improve. I'd consider it an essential. good luck buddy

been guitaring for just a little over a month. got a metronome 2 days ago and it has already help me improve. I'd consider it an essential. good luck buddy

William MG

Full Access

Hi Paul

sounds like you are ready to go, only thing left now I would say is practice

I won't comment on tuner accuracy, I have no way of measuring it, but personally I like tuners that are easy for old eyes to read. So big is better than smaller - for me.

Good luck.

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

Hi Paul

sounds like you are ready to go, only thing left now I would say is practice

I won't comment on tuner accuracy, I have no way of measuring it, but personally I like tuners that are easy for old eyes to read. So big is better than smaller - for me.

Good luck.

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

Sasha-B

Full Access

Welcome! If you're new to playing a musical instrument-Keep it simple with a clip on tuner. On the higher priced range is the Peterson strobe clip; next would be the korg hammer clip on and lastly on in prive is snark. All do the job very well.

In the meantime-guitar tricks has a tuner and metronome on the website under tools.

or download "guitar tuna" And a metronome app.

Welcome! If you're new to playing a musical instrument-Keep it simple with a clip on tuner. On the higher priced range is the Peterson strobe clip; next would be the korg hammer clip on and lastly on in prive is snark. All do the job very well.

In the meantime-guitar tricks has a tuner and metronome on the website under tools.

or download "guitar tuna" And a metronome app.

charlessandilands

I'm a returner to guitar after a break of quite a few years. This time round I'm going electric so I'm guessing I have to add an amp to the kit list? Anything else?

Thanks.

I'm a returner to guitar after a break of quite a few years. This time round I'm going electric so I'm guessing I have to add an amp to the kit list? Anything else?

Thanks.

fuzzb0x

Full Access

Originally Posted by: charlessandilands

Thanks.

if you are planning on playing some rock music a distortion pedal is a good thing to add to the list, it will alow you to have the amp set to clean and turn the distortion on as you need, great for songs that have a clean guitar intro then kick in to a heavier tone for the main riff. One of my favorites is the ProCo Rat 2 but there's loads of great ones to choose from.

Originally Posted by: charlessandilands

Thanks.

if you are planning on playing some rock music a distortion pedal is a good thing to add to the list, it will alow you to have the amp set to clean and turn the distortion on as you need, great for songs that have a clean guitar intro then kick in to a heavier tone for the main riff. One of my favorites is the ProCo Rat 2 but there's loads of great ones to choose from.