Problem with the f & b major

Guitar Tricks Forum > Guitar Basics > Problem with the f & b major

firewalkerb4

Im a beginner with just over a month into learning to play. I had some problems with the A Major; just keep putting my finger on the strings while looking at them to see if they were touching any of the other strings. And I have some fat fingers; however I found the sweet spot. Now Im jammed on the F & B Major. I watch the video over and over, along with any other info I can find on the net about how to get these notes, still cant master the skill.

Im a beginner with just over a month into learning to play. I had some problems with the A Major; just keep putting my finger on the strings while looking at them to see if they were touching any of the other strings. And I have some fat fingers; however I found the sweet spot. Now Im jammed on the F & B Major. I watch the video over and over, along with any other info I can find on the net about how to get these notes, still cant master the skill.

tjr.gsa

Beginner as well, focusing on just F for now and had better luck taking an angled approach like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PvJ5zEnwc

On top of that, and I'm not sure if it's bad technique, but I'm rolling my middle and ring fingers inwards just a bit and fretting more on the corner of my finger tips, seems to expose a little less pad and help keep from muting strings.

Still a long ways to go before I can play this with any sort of consistency, but it's probably just a matter of strength/stretching now.

Not sure if it'll help with your stubbier fingers but might be worth a try.

Beginner as well, focusing on just F for now and had better luck taking an angled approach like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PvJ5zEnwc

On top of that, and I'm not sure if it's bad technique, but I'm rolling my middle and ring fingers inwards just a bit and fretting more on the corner of my finger tips, seems to expose a little less pad and help keep from muting strings.

Still a long ways to go before I can play this with any sort of consistency, but it's probably just a matter of strength/stretching now.

Not sure if it'll help with your stubbier fingers but might be worth a try.

Carl King

Full Access

Barre chords are a notorious barrier, and once you break through it a whole world of songs will open up to you. It's only a matter of strengthening your grip. It just takes time.

When I switched from acoustic to electric it made a big difference, because the strings on an acoustic tend to be heavier gauge and higher off the neck, making them harder to press down.

Try practicing your F barre chord shape up higher on the neck, where the string tension isn't so strong (it's always harder to play barre chords near the nut). Try using the same fingering but start at the 5th or 7th fret. It will also help your wrist be more comfortable. Then you can start moving it back towards the 1st fret again.

-Carl.
Carl King
GuitarTricks Director / Producer

Barre chords are a notorious barrier, and once you break through it a whole world of songs will open up to you. It's only a matter of strengthening your grip. It just takes time.

When I switched from acoustic to electric it made a big difference, because the strings on an acoustic tend to be heavier gauge and higher off the neck, making them harder to press down.

Try practicing your F barre chord shape up higher on the neck, where the string tension isn't so strong (it's always harder to play barre chords near the nut). Try using the same fingering but start at the 5th or 7th fret. It will also help your wrist be more comfortable. Then you can start moving it back towards the 1st fret again.

-Carl.
Carl King

firewalkerb4

Thanks Carl & tar.gsa

Thanks guys,

The only help I can get at home is from my wife and grandson. All I get out of my wife is "your doing good" no matter what it sounds like. My grandson thinks my playing sounds like Lynyrd Skynyrd playing freebird, he is 9 y/o. Playing freebird is on the very edge of the radar screen for me and guitar playing, learning these two notes my have even pushed it off the screen. If all else falls El Kabong lol

Thanks again

Thanks Carl & tar.gsa

Thanks guys,

The only help I can get at home is from my wife and grandson. All I get out of my wife is "your doing good" no matter what it sounds like. My grandson thinks my playing sounds like Lynyrd Skynyrd playing freebird, he is 9 y/o. Playing freebird is on the very edge of the radar screen for me and guitar playing, learning these two notes my have even pushed it off the screen. If all else falls El Kabong lol

Thanks again

matonanjin

Just keep doing it.

This is absolutely no help at all. But everyone must struggle with the F chord initially. My wife would hear me working on it as well as obscenities coming from my den. It got to be a joke. She would routinely ask me "Hows the 'F' chord coming?!" (I've been playing all of 6 weeks now. btw")

But one day just all of a sudden I could play it. It is still hit or miss but it is increasingly more hits then misses.

It will come.

Just keep doing it.

This is absolutely no help at all. But everyone must struggle with the F chord initially. My wife would hear me working on it as well as obscenities coming from my den. It got to be a joke. She would routinely ask me "Hows the 'F' chord coming?!" (I've been playing all of 6 weeks now. btw")

But one day just all of a sudden I could play it. It is still hit or miss but it is increasingly more hits then misses.

It will come.

JJ90

Perhaps this one will also help. As most people already mentioned it is a matter of perseverance and developing strength. But since you are just starting out that is about the best advice I can give you.

Justin Sandercoe from Justinguitar is one hell of a teacher (best free online teacher, if not one of the best teachers ever in my opinion) and also has a video on mastering Barre chords.

Perhaps this one will help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJP2rWbMig&feature=player_embedded

Hope this helps.

JJ

Perhaps this one will also help. As most people already mentioned it is a matter of perseverance and developing strength. But since you are just starting out that is about the best advice I can give you.

Justin Sandercoe from Justinguitar is one hell of a teacher (best free online teacher, if not one of the best teachers ever in my opinion) and also has a video on mastering Barre chords.

Perhaps this one will help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJP2rWbMig&feature=player_embedded

Hope this helps.

JJ

firewalkerb4

Thanks

Thanks to all for the input, just have to keep trying, Must say everyone has give good advice to me.

Thanks

Thanks to all for the input, just have to keep trying, Must say everyone has give good advice to me.

haghj500

I don't know how much you play each deay, but to be able to just grab the F cord like you can the G is about a 3 month task. Play G then F then C then F then G then F the C then so so so forh. That combination will help build strenth and keep the cramps away. Like anything else, start slow, don't even look for speed for a couple of days. When you no longer have to watch your fingers to make the cords, start trying to speed things up slowly.

Good Luck

I don't know how much you play each deay, but to be able to just grab the F cord like you can the G is about a 3 month task. Play G then F then C then F then G then F the C then so so so forh. That combination will help build strenth and keep the cramps away. Like anything else, start slow, don't even look for speed for a couple of days. When you no longer have to watch your fingers to make the cords, start trying to speed things up slowly.

Good Luck

firewalkerb4

Update

Im lucky my father in law owns a music store. The guitar was a gift over a year ago, and set in the box.
Today I took the guitar to his store for some help with the F major cord. He putting a set of Martin strings on it and adjusting the bridge lower. He said this should help, but also reinforced what so many of you have already said, It takes time, keep at it
Thanks again all

Update

Im lucky my father in law owns a music store. The guitar was a gift over a year ago, and set in the box.
Today I took the guitar to his store for some help with the F major cord. He putting a set of Martin strings on it and adjusting the bridge lower. He said this should help, but also reinforced what so many of you have already said, It takes time, keep at it
Thanks again all

Carl King

Full Access

Adjusting the bridge lower can help a LOT, and I cringe at how many new players must feel discouraged by this. Glad you took your guitar in and got it adjusted! You'll be playing those barre chords in no time. Keep at it!

-Carl.
Carl King

Adjusting the bridge lower can help a LOT, and I cringe at how many new players must feel discouraged by this. Glad you took your guitar in and got it adjusted! You'll be playing those barre chords in no time. Keep at it!

-Carl.
Carl King