Artist Profile: Robin Trower

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/16/2009 9:22 pm

In the 1990's, Trower and his band (with several incarnations of various outfits) continued to record although he spent the majority of this time in the production end of the music business. All in all, Robin Trower has released 30 albums and there is no indication that he intends to slow down any time soon. He continues to run a heavy touring schedule.

Trower is a notorious Strat only player, rarely venturing out on stage with anything but his now signature model Fender Stratocaster. In Procol Harem he played a Gibson SG but when he struck out on his own, he made the switch to Fender. In a recent interview, when asked why he made the switch, he replied "We were on tour with Jethro Tull, and their guitar player, Martin [Barre], had a Strat as a spare guitar because he also played Les Pauls. I just happened to pick it up one day. I plugged it into my amp during sound check and that was it. The next day I went out and bought one."

Despite the off and on carping about his near Hendrix idolization throughout his career, Trower only ever had a chance to meet him once. Two weeks before Hendrix died, Procul Harem was on the same bill with Hendrix in Germany. According to Trower, he walked back stage one night and said hello and told Hendrix how much he admired his playing. But even now, almost 40 years later, Trower still glows when he speaks of Jimi. "He was incredibly soulful, as are all the artists that I admire. He had fire, but then again, so do all the great artists that I admire. The basic ingredients for great artists are soul and fire. You don't find many great artists that have those two ingredients today. "

That's true about all great artists, including Robin Trower.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
johnorlitta
johnorlitta
07/18/2009 6:42 pm
Thank you for that informative piece of info about the highly underrated and talented Mr. Robin Trower. The first time I heard "Day of the Eagle" I was blown away, as I still am by his most recent efforts. Again, thank you, and thank you Robin Trower.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/19/2009 12:38 am
Thanks. I am glad you enjoyed the article. I've been a fan of Robin Trower for many years myself. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.