Recording wih a pc

Guitar Tricks Forum > Recording > Recording wih a pc

Homebrew1709

I don't really have any experience with recording on a computer...I know Macs are more capable for recording than PCs, but i just got a new Dell laptop. Im looking for a portable/affordable recording system. The Mbox with ProTools LE looks cool. How much would I be giving up by not using a Mac?

I don't really have any experience with recording on a computer...I know Macs are more capable for recording than PCs, but i just got a new Dell laptop. Im looking for a portable/affordable recording system. The Mbox with ProTools LE looks cool. How much would I be giving up by not using a Mac?

Dr_simon

Guitar Tricks Instructor

If you have the money SONAR is very nice, their is not much you cant do !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS

If you have the money SONAR is very nice, their is not much you cant do !

Homebrew1709

well the Mbox is like 500 bucks i think. so thats about the price range - give or take about $50

well the Mbox is like 500 bucks i think. so thats about the price range - give or take about $50

Homebrew1709

What im more concerned with is the capabilities of a PC...

What im more concerned with is the capabilities of a PC...

fastelvis

Protools

Not sure what Dell you have or what you intend to do (I assume you want to multi-track at good quality) so........

ProTools doesn't really like anything less than a high clock Pentium 4 on DOS based gear and some AMD's had compatibilty issues. Centrino's should be ok since they are mobile P4's. Check Digidesign's website for compatibility or email them before you buy. Fill it up with fastest RAM you can. The more the better.

Doc is right about Sonar. It's powerful and easy, but you still need a good USB mobile interface. There are tons out there but most max at 24bit/48kHz sample rates (like the Mbox). The included software is usually very weak however. After you buy the interface and decent software, you're back to the price of an Mbox factory bundle w/ProTools LE.

Protools

Not sure what Dell you have or what you intend to do (I assume you want to multi-track at good quality) so........

ProTools doesn't really like anything less than a high clock Pentium 4 on DOS based gear and some AMD's had compatibilty issues. Centrino's should be ok since they are mobile P4's. Check Digidesign's website for compatibility or email them before you buy. Fill it up with fastest RAM you can. The more the better.

Doc is right about Sonar. It's powerful and easy, but you still need a good USB mobile interface. There are tons out there but most max at 24bit/48kHz sample rates (like the Mbox). The included software is usually very weak however. After you buy the interface and decent software, you're back to the price of an Mbox factory bundle w/ProTools LE.

Dr_simon

Guitar Tricks Instructor

All you need to work with sonar is a sound card better still a sound card with an S/P DIF input that you can use to get guitar / vocals / bass in with.

The killer with Sonar is the cost of the plugins:

Autotune 4

300 bucks

Waves native gold

1000 bucks

Sonar 4 producers pack

700 bucks

ouch !!

With that lot their is not much you cant do !

All you need to work with sonar is a sound card better still a sound card with an S/P DIF input that you can use to get guitar / vocals / bass in with.

The killer with Sonar is the cost of the plugins:

Autotune 4

300 bucks

Waves native gold

1000 bucks

Sonar 4 producers pack

700 bucks

ouch !!

With that lot their is not much you cant do !

Homebrew1709

its a centrino 1.6ghz...is that okay you think?

its a centrino 1.6ghz...is that okay you think?

Dr_simon

Guitar Tricks Instructor

I depends what you want to do ! recording a 128 track opus will give it a headache however if you just want to record some loops to jam over, sure no problem !

I depends what you want to do ! recording a 128 track opus will give it a headache however if you just want to record some loops to jam over, sure no problem !

Homebrew1709

multitrack with good quality. just for some guitars, bass and vocals maybe. don't want something with too much of a learning curve.

multitrack with good quality. just for some guitars, bass and vocals maybe. don't want something with too much of a learning curve.

Dr_simon

Guitar Tricks Instructor

What is your budget?

Vocals will require compression EQ and maybe a DeeEsser and the best mic / preamp you can afford.

Options start at around 100 bucks for a second hand Behringer pre and 80 bucks for an SM57/58.

What is your budget?

Vocals will require compression EQ and maybe a DeeEsser and the best mic / preamp you can afford.

Options start at around 100 bucks for a second hand Behringer pre and 80 bucks for an SM57/58.