Need Help With Power Chords!

Landon24
Landon24
08/21/2020 2:05 pm

I am trying to learn power chords because I am learning a bunch of songs that require them. But whenever I try mute the strings with my pointer finger it is really hard and I have to do a bunch of moving with my thumb. Then when I strum it sounds terrible there's a bunch of buzzing and I can hear all the musted strings and not even sure that I can hear the strings I want to hear. I don't know what to do anything would help!

# 1
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
08/24/2020 12:47 am

This would be a good question to ask one of the instructors. I`m sure any of them can give you the guidance you need.

# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/24/2020 5:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Landon24

I am trying to learn power chords because I am learning a bunch of songs that require them. But whenever I try mute the strings with my pointer finger it is really hard and I have to do a bunch of moving with my thumb. Then when I strum it sounds terrible there's a bunch of buzzing and I can hear all the musted strings and not even sure that I can hear the strings I want to hear. I don't know what to do anything would help!

Hey Landon! Sorry to hear you're struggling with power chords. When you talk about muting the strings with your pointer finger -- which strings are you trying to mute? In most cases the only thing you'd be lightly muting with the tip of your pointer is the Low E. That is, if you're playing power chords rooted on the A string. Unless you mean the under-side of your pointer finger, on the higher strings?

If you're playing power chords you shouldn't be strumming through all the strings, anyway. What you want to do is something called "zoning." It means just aiming to strum only the strings you want to ring out. When playing power chords just try to hit the strings you're fretting. Don't strum all the way through all 6. You need to either 1. stop when you pass the strings you are aiming at, or 2. lift your pick up away from the strings as you strum past.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know with some more description of the problem.

Also, not sure what you mean by moving with your thumb. Do you mean you're trying to mute strings with your thumb, reaching it over the fretboard?

Check out videos of James Hetflied and you should see that his strumming hand / arm is not moving a lot on power chords (unless he is showing off and making a big gesture). It's a small motion!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.