Pacing the lessons

pif242
pif242
06/04/2020 2:38 pm

Hey. I'm Pierre and a total beginner here. I really enjoy the beginners lessons on this site and have been at it for about 3 weeks and can already see some progress... my question is how to pace and when to move on to the next lesson.

Should I wait that I totally master one before moving on to the next ?

What I have done so far is practice a lesson until I am partially accustomed to it, then move on to the next, but keep re-practicing the old ones daily... the problem is as I go through lessons is that the daily practice adds up and I still can't say I master the earlier ones... Am I on the right track ? or any other tips I should know about ?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/04/2020 5:21 pm

Hi there,

This is a good question and we get this one a lot. But you should move onto the next lesson after you feel comfortable enough with following along with what the instructor is teaching. We do not expect you to completely memorize every exercise by heart.

Also, if you curious about the next lesson, or bored or stuck with the lesson you're currently on, it's a good idea to get a refresher and move on.

It's important to remember to have fun.

I hope that helps!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Isaacs87
Isaacs87
06/07/2020 2:54 am

Adding onto the above, instead of going back to old lessons, just learn new songs using the "Songs Made Easy" tab, or practice chord changes with a metronome. You shouldn't really need to go back to old lessons, because songs that you learn will incorporate what you need and naturally retain them while learning new things at the same time. You don't need to fully master anything, retain everything perfectly in guitar fundamentals, nor do you need to stress yourself with constantly going back to old lessons. Just move on and most importantly have fun :)

# 3
pif242
pif242
06/09/2020 12:56 pm

Thank you guys that's helpful !

# 4
dafydd_hywel
dafydd_hywel
06/09/2020 9:29 pm

Hi Pierre and welcome.

I am about 5weeks into the fundamentals part one myself.

I have taken the same approach as you, rather than try to "master" every element, once I am reasonably competent have moved to next lesson. Also like you, I have practiced each day to ensure I keep improving those earlier lessons

So far it's proved ok and I have not had to go back to any lessons.

I find this approach helps me feel like I am making steady progress, which is a good positive motivator.

Also, some of the later stuff has helped me improve small details that make the earlier stuff a little easier. For examp,e, practicing the simpie chord changes has helped my spider finger exercises no end.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.