Learning - acoustic and electric at the same time?

Wearybear
Wearybear
01/09/2020 4:21 am

I have spent the past two months learning guitar on an electric. I have been pleased with my newly aquired abilities. But last week, I dug out my acoustic guitar and tried to play it. It felt like I had returned to day one. I was not able to play chords like I knew I could. The reason why is not because of string thickness, but guitar thickness. My dreadnaught is much thicker than my electric and it threw my hand positions out of whack. I have been careful to develop good hand habits from the start. So, I wonder if it would be a good idea to skip using my acoustic for a while until my abilites are more advanced and ingrained? I don't want to screw up my muscle memory moving between two different size guitars.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
01/09/2020 5:41 am

Not IMO.

[br]The two are simply different. Vive la différence!

So you're going to face the problem regardless, and it will seem even worse as your skills grow with electric and you stumble making the transition trying to replicate them on acoustic.

I play both and have been pretty much since my return/starting out. Just use them in lesson and song parallel. The two compliment one another.

My only suggestion would be to ditch the Dread unless you're going to be playing unamplified in a giant auditorium..All acoustics aren't equal, and full disclosure, I 'fess I make no secret of my detestation for the Dreadought body.

Get yourself a slimline cutaway smaller bodied (e-) acoustic with faster flatter slimline neck, tighter string spacing and set up by saddle and nut design for lower action & 12s. Or if you don't want to go that rad, at least a Concert full body acoustic with a lighter string gauge.

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/09/2020 2:53 pm

See also, the relevant posts in the "guitar movement" thread in the Open Discussion sub-forum.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
Wearybear
Wearybear
01/09/2020 3:15 pm

Yeah, I wish had bought a smaller acoustic. I will hold on to it and try to use it again later in the year as my skills improve and it is less of a "stretch" to adapt my skills to other size guitars.

I also wish my Boss AC-3 wasn't such a hissing nightmare. If that pedal worked as well for me as they do in the promo videos, then I would yard sale my dreadnaught immediately. I can get the noise down to acceptable levels only on the piezo setting with my Yamaha THR-C amp running on the flat emulator. Oh, well - live and learn (and blow money).

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
01/09/2020 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Wearybear

Yeah, I wish had bought a smaller acoustic.[/quote][p]

I only went there (cutaway slimline e-concert) when I kicked off with my 'first' acoustic again after life's hiatus because of the benefit of previous experience.

I actually didn't intend to buy an acoustic at all, but just the electric as I did when the interest reignited. It only took a month in to realise I wanted and needed both, and was committed. Later already owning and playing three smaller body acoustics, I actually bought the dread when a 'too good not to' opportunity arose as curiosity buy to see if I could learn to love it. It's an ongoing love-hate relationship. Love the tone, hate the fit.

[quote=Wearybear]

Oh, well - live and learn (and blow money).

[p]

Googling (endless curiosity), it's a well known idiosyncrisy with Boss' AC-3 and has been for a long time (decade plus).

We've all been there at some time or another.

# 5
Grey Rabbit
Full Access
Grey Rabbit
Full Access
01/11/2020 10:06 am

You can play both and enjoy both for the sound you can create from both even playing the same song. remember they are different instruments

# 6
bturner0
Full Access
bturner0
Full Access
06/02/2020 3:22 am

Its like lifting weights. One day you work on upper body and the next day is leg day. I alternate one day electric and the next acoustic.

# 7
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
12/26/2021 4:44 pm

I'm learing electric and acoustic at the same time. I usually spend two days on electric (one day using a Strat and one day using a Les Paul) and then one day on acoustic and repeat. For my acoustic I purposely sought out a model with slim line body and a neck with measurements very close to an electric to make the transition easier. I ended up getting a Yamaha APX-600 (an added bonus is that it as acoustic/electric). I put Earnie Ball Earthwood 10-52's on it. I am finding the transition between the three types of guitars pretty easy. With the constant rotation my fingers and brain have adapted. I think this is making me a more well rounded player. I'm enjoying the acoustic more than I thought I was going to.

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 8
Violanted
Violanted
12/30/2021 7:36 am

Hey there

merry Christmas

interesting question , I'm a beginner too I am using both electric and acoustic but I have done that since day one. I keep on swapping guitars on each lessons and now I barely feel the difference.

I use a Fender DS60 Dreadnought and its thickness is very noticeable but I got use to it.

I think you should insist on trying playing on both until you get used to both

I don't know your guitar skills level but assuming you still beginner there is plenty of time to adapt to any changes

my 2 cents

Thanks

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 9
Violanted
Violanted
12/30/2021 7:39 am
Originally Posted by: ScubaCPA

I'm learing electric and acoustic at the same time. I usually spend two days on electric (one day using a Strat and one day using a Les Paul) and then one day on acoustic and repeat. For my acoustic I purposely sought out a model with slim line body and a neck with measurements very close to an electric to make the transition easier. I ended up getting a Yamaha APX-600 (an added bonus is that it as acoustic/electric). I put Earnie Ball Earthwood 10-52's on it. I am finding the transition between the three types of guitars pretty easy. With the constant rotation my fingers and brain have adapted. I think this is making me a more well rounded player. I'm enjoying the acoustic more than I thought I was going to.

I have done the same and works perfectly

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.