Playing position for "open" major scales

pconover
pconover
05/02/2018 6:27 pm

Hi. In Fundamentals 2, Lisa spends some time on "open" major scales, especially D, E and A. I noticed (after having practiced these a while) that she tends to play them in what I would call "second" position, meaning index finger at the second fret, etc., whereas I had practiced them in "first" position, index finger at first fret, etc.

Does it matter? Maybe she is teeing up for something in the future and I should be practicing it exactly as she shows it.

Thanks!

# 1
MrPhil
MrPhil
06/01/2018 10:40 pm

I am enjoying the course and very happy with Lisa McC. In this lesson Lisa is teaching us simple songs and I’ve discovered the Chord of C is to low and the next octave up is to high. I don’t know chord sets yet so any tips to remedy this would be appreciated. Thanks, Phillip

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/02/2018 5:08 am
Originally Posted by: pconover

In Fundamentals 2, Lisa spends some time on "open" major scales, especially D, E and A. I noticed (after having practiced these a while) that she tends to play them in what I would call "second" position, meaning index finger at the second fret, etc., whereas I had practiced them in "first" position, index finger at first fret, etc.

In general, you should use the idea of one finger per fret. However, in some scales if you don't need to use the first fret on any given scale or string, there's no reason to devote a finger to that fret. Even if there is an open string. If you can play the scale conveniently & cleanly with your index on the 2nd fret, then go for it.

The guiding principle of all motion should be to use the most efficient motion that helps & does not hinder playing the music cleanly & clearly.

You can always ask Lisa directly in her instructor forum!

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=46

Hope this helps! Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/05/2018 11:25 am

I’m wondering if, when you say the C is too high or too low, are you trying to match it with your singing voice?

Or it is something about the guitar itself that does not sound in sync with me on the videos?

if it’s your voice, then that is perfectly normal - scales start low and go high and the keep going forever (theoretically,!) in both directions.

there is likely only a sliver on that spectrum and span that we can match up with our voices, and then it gets too high for us, or too low for us, to sing along with.

Humans.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
stevesomerville40
stevesomerville40
03/17/2020 8:20 pm

First off, Great teaching Lisa. Secondly, I'm always searching for some sort of pattern to help me memorize these scales. I can't seem to find anything that makes sense from one scale to another. Are all scales to simply be memorized by frequent practice? There are SO many.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2020 2:34 am
Originally Posted by: stevesomerville40Secondly, I'm always searching for some sort of pattern to help me memorize these scales. I can't seem to find anything that makes sense from one scale to another. Are all scales to simply be memorized by frequent practice? There are SO many.

Every major scale has only one formula: the specific order of intervals in between the notes. I cover this concept in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

Things get tricky because:

1. You can play the same note in more than one place on the guitar. This makes it possible to play any given scale in a wide variety of fretboard patterns (or shapes).

2. When you cross from the G to the B string the tuning is different! This makes every pattern shift up one fret. Please read my replies in these threads:

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=46&t=53156

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=46&t=53640

3. There are 12 possible musical alphabet letter notes to start a scale on! A through G#.

But even though you have so many possibilities, the thing that makes them all "any given major scale" is the interval formula. If you watch the tutorial linked above I show you how to understand, use & look for the familiar patterns of most major scales.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.