Dropping my Pick

bturner0
Full Access
bturner0
Full Access
08/24/2017 3:27 am

I've been playing for just over a year now. I find it very difficult to get through any song without dropping my pick or having to re-adjust it in my fingers. I have used picks with a raised pattern on them which helps a bit. Any suggestions to hang on to the pick better?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2017 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by: bturner0

I've been playing for just over a year now. I find it very difficult to get through any song without dropping my pick or having to re-adjust it in my fingers. I have used picks with a raised pattern on them which helps a bit. Any suggestions to hang on to the pick better?

Is it slipping because you are gripping too tightly? That seems counterintuitive, but it happens. You grip too tightly & then your fingers get sweaty or oily & it slips. Or your fingers are so locked tight that you're unable to make microadjustments necessary to change picking angles when strumming. And then the pick pops out!

It could be you are gripping too loosely. But more often I see students gripping to tightly & banging the strings too harshly. You only need to lightly graze across the strings with the pick on an angle. Strumming too harshly, or digging in too hard without angling will cause you to drop the pick sooner or later. Usually sooner. :)

Have a look at this video to review your technique.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13957&s_id=1142

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
08/24/2017 4:08 pm

I swear by this stuff, I use it every time I play live or practice with my band.

http://www.gorillasnotusa.com/pick-honey-guitar-pick-grip-by-gorilla-snot/

You only need a tiny bit.

# 3
bturner0
Full Access
bturner0
Full Access
08/25/2017 3:03 am

Thanks for the tutorial reference. After watching, I played a couple of songs. I think I am gripping too loosely. I start off with the proper grip on the pick but as I play, the vibrations make the pick move in my fingers. In a short time, I am barely holding on to the back end of the pick.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/25/2017 2:19 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: bturner0

After watching, I played a couple of songs. I think I am gripping too loosely. I start off with the proper grip on the pick but as I play, the vibrations make the pick move in my fingers. In a short time, I am barely holding on to the back end of the pick.

Glad you figured it out. Guitar playing is a constant process of assessment & refinement. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
emayers
emayers
10/08/2017 1:45 am

I find I have a similar issue, the pick rotates in my fingers so I end up picking with the side instead of the point.

# 6
Johangarden
Johangarden
10/10/2017 6:20 am
Originally Posted by: emayers

I find I have a similar issue, the pick rotates in my fingers so I end up picking with the side instead of the point.

I know the feeling. I had the same problem for a long time. The pick always turned clockwise without me noticing it.

What I did was trying a tons of different picks (many brands have "variety packs" for a few bucks). I found that when using Dunlop's Ultex Jazz III the problem dissapeared. I stuck with that pick for a while and now I can use any pick without it rotating. I guess it was about getting the fingers used to the correct pressure and at pick with good grip was a help.

# 7
Papa Rich
Papa Rich
10/16/2017 8:01 pm

In the beginning I had this problem. It does go away eventually as you learn to pick the strings evenly with less pressure, (do watch Christopher's video). I also tried many different picks and I suggest that you also do so. There are two brands that I like. One is the Guitar Moose Stickygrip. Look up their website. These picks have a sticky surface where you grip it and it's comfortable. It also sticks to your guitar when not in use. I used these when I first started out. I have always come back time and time again to the graphtech TUSQ. It's slightly smaller than an average pick, but I like how it sounds and it doesn't move around in my fingers. Hope this helps.

# 8
drpbier
drpbier
01/11/2018 10:08 pm

Just wanted to thank Papa Rich for the Guitar Moose recommend. I bought one of their Stickygrips and really liked it - then I bought some sticky dots and have so far loved those on a Tortex pick. Excellent, haven't dropped a pick since!

# 9
justinlevitt12
justinlevitt12
05/09/2018 11:16 am

Over my years playing guitar I've discovered many guitar picks that help stop you from dropping your pick. Some picks are designed with stubbed surfaces to improve grip whilst others have been specifically designed to eliminate slippage completely. You can even get grips that you can stick onto your favorite plectrum. I actually have a list about guitar picks that help reduce slipping here .

# 10
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/15/2018 12:19 pm

I find the Dunlop picks to be good and grippable. But as with anything, it takes practice for your hand to learn just how to hold this tiny little tool so you can make it do its magic, and a t the same time, stay in your hands and obey your commands!

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 11
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/16/2018 6:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Johangarden
Originally Posted by: emayers

I know the feeling. I had the same problem for a long time. The pick always turned clockwise without me noticing it.

What I did was trying a tons of different picks (many brands have "variety packs" for a few bucks). I found that when using Dunlop's Ultex Jazz III the problem dissapeared. I stuck with that pick for a while and now I can use any pick without it rotating. I guess it was about getting the fingers used to the correct pressure and at pick with good grip was a help.

I live by Jazz III's even for my acoustic strumming. Now I find a regular sized pick (eg - Tortex) feels like a dinner plate in my fingers. I will tell ya that strumming acoustic with a Jazz pick was a learning process. Vigorous strumming is not as smooth sounding until I realized how to strike with a Jazz III.

# 12
manXcat
manXcat
05/17/2018 2:49 am

Tried most styles and materials. I suspect personal preference will evolve with time and technique, but right now playing electric and acoustic rythym, learning and reinforcing pentatonic scales and developing impro, I like Dunlop nylons best, thickness dependent upon purpose. I have the range of Dunlop nylons.

I tried the Jazz III, but found it a bit small and its thickness too limiting at my current skill level. Suspect I might rediscover the love for it in a couple of years? Right now, I compromise with Joyo's superb Jazz picks which are marginally thinner and a fraction larger than Dunlop's Jazz III. I really like their price too.

Also tried the Dunlop Tortex range which I though I would like, but prefer either the Joyo or Dunlop nylons. Unlike Tortex, both of those have a moulded in cross-hatched grip.

No problems here with slipping or dropping picks with those, although they do have a magically disappearing characteristic which is a persistent niusance!

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.