Experienced musician, but brand new to guitar

fingolfen
fingolfen
08/31/2020 5:34 am

Hey all! I've played a variety of keyboard and wind instruments since I was a kid and have sung in various choirs and even madrigal groups, but I've never played guitar. I figured since I love guitar so much it was high time to fix that oversight! Electric should arrive tomorrow, and I'm really excited to dive in! My wife is getting back into playing bass as well, so it should be fun to learn as a family.

# 1
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/31/2020 12:49 pm

Welcome! This is a good place with good people.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/31/2020 1:11 pm

Welcome and good luck with your studies.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/31/2020 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: fingolfen

Hey all! I've played a variety of keyboard and wind instruments since I was a kid and have sung in various choirs and even madrigal groups, but I've never played guitar. I figured since I love guitar so much it was high time to fix that oversight! Electric should arrive tomorrow, and I'm really excited to dive in! My wife is getting back into playing bass as well, so it should be fun to learn as a family.

That is awesome. MADRIGALS?! I love it.

Your keyboard knowledge is going to help A LOT! You'll have a major advantage in understanding "thinking in theory / chord chemistry" which is very unintuitive on guitar.

Congrats on getting into guitar, and post any questions you've got! We'll do our best to help you out!

-Carl

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 4
fingolfen
fingolfen
08/31/2020 7:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

That is awesome. MADRIGALS?! I love it.

Your keyboard knowledge is going to help A LOT! You'll have a major advantage in understanding "thinking in theory / chord chemistry" which is very unintuitive on guitar.

Congrats on getting into guitar, and post any questions you've got! We'll do our best to help you out!

-Carl

Thanks for the welcome all!

Carl - yeah, I sang tenor in a four voice medieval group (S - A - T - Bari), it was fun. We also did recorder consort as well. I'm anxiously watching for the FedEx truck at this point bringing the toys...

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.