Got me a guitar, and a subscription - what now?!

bennettring
bennettring
08/28/2020 6:10 am

Hey guys

I played guitar as a teen for a few years, but decided to pick it up again as a 44 year old adult stuck in Melbourne, Australia lockdown. So I bought me a Cort acoustic guitar, a pack of picks, and started trying various online classes. First was yousician, but couldn't progress through the course as I got to a stage that required an electric guitar for hammering. Then I tried Fender Play, and did the Folk streamline - after about 4 weeks of playing daily, I hit the end of that stream and had learnt not a lot! So now I'm here - I want to focus on acoustic, with some blues, folk, country and whatever else I can play with my gear.

Where do I start?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/28/2020 11:09 am

You could check out the Fundamentals, you may already know some of this material. GT offers courses on various genres like Blues. You can learn songs. The site has lots of material available.

For me personally, not that I am unhappy with my progress on guitar, in hindsight I would have chosen to get into theory sooner vs later, and there are lots of lessons on theory here. Once you have some theory under your belt you can do lots with it and things will begin to make sense.

Good luck

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
08/28/2020 2:47 pm

Fender and Jamplay don't seem to have the learning structure that GT has in place.

different instructors so styles of teaching all set up in varying ways.

Also the gimic of getting you playing songs quicker.

GT encourages song learning but always along with the fundamentals.

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/28/2020 5:23 pm

What William MG said... start at the beginning.

If you already know some of the stuff, good on you... it won't take you long to get to challenging new stuff.

Follow the Guitar Tricks lesson program; it's a good lesson plan.

Good luck, have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/28/2020 7:28 pm
Originally Posted by: bennettring

Hey guys

I played guitar as a teen for a few years, but decided to pick it up again as a 44 year old adult stuck in Melbourne, Australia lockdown. So I bought me a Cort acoustic guitar, a pack of picks, and started trying various online classes. First was yousician, but couldn't progress through the course as I got to a stage that required an electric guitar for hammering. Then I tried Fender Play, and did the Folk streamline - after about 4 weeks of playing daily, I hit the end of that stream and had learnt not a lot! So now I'm here - I want to focus on acoustic, with some blues, folk, country and whatever else I can play with my gear.

Where do I start?

Reiterate the others. Start at Fundementals 1.

Back when I first joined in 2008, and have played in a band and had some 'shredder' playing ability, I figured that I would still start from the very beginning with Fundementals 1. If you played a bit there are some things that you will skip and that's just fine. I mean, I didn't need to know the ergonomics of guitar or cowboy chords but I also realized that since I had been self taught, there's a whole lot of baseline knowledge I did not know. I mean, I could play it but I didn't understand it from how what I played connected to theories and such. It's still my weakness.

So that being said, take time to start more or less from the beginning. The structure will build your knowledge and beef up your abilities.

If you have some skills in playing, you can learn songs in the library too as a means to keep it interesting.

# 5
bennettring
bennettring
08/30/2020 3:24 am

Hi folks

Thanks so much for the guidance - there's a lot on GT to offer, which can be a little overwhelming for a newcomer. Based on your advice, I'll start with Fundamentals 1, then progress through the lesson program. I assume it's clearly labelled what lessons to take?

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.