Hello

tb.williams
tb.williams
05/10/2018 4:05 am

Hi, my name is Tom and I'm just getting started on my guitar journey. I am 65 and about to retire in June. My wife asked me what I was going to do with my time and I told her I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar...better late than never! I have a Yamaha FG820L...yes I'm left handed. Beautiful guitar and I hope someday to make beautiful sounds with it. Just started Lisa's beginning lessons this week. It's going to take awhile to get my fingers to stretch to the right fret positions, I feel rather clumsy right now! Looking forward to learning from the instructors and fellow forum members.

# 1
Meridirh
Full Access
Meridirh
Full Access
05/10/2018 6:23 am
Originally Posted by: tb.williams

Hi, my name is Tom and I'm just getting started on my guitar journey. I am 65 and about to retire in June. My wife asked me what I was going to do with my time and I told her I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar...better late than never! I have a Yamaha FG820L...yes I'm left handed. Beautiful guitar and I hope someday to make beautiful sounds with it. Just started Lisa's beginning lessons this week. It's going to take awhile to get my fingers to stretch to the right fret positions, I feel rather clumsy right now! Looking forward to learning from the instructors and fellow forum members.

Hi Tom,

welcome to the club! :) I just googled your guitar. It's a pretty acoustic guitar. I'm sure it plays nicely.

May I ask you what kind of musical genres you are interested in?

Lisa's course is fantastic for beginners as she teachers everything you need to know to later start style modules. Many styles share the basic fundamentals that you are going to learn in GF1.

However, it is important to not rush these courses. Learning to play the guitar is a real body workout as your fingers need to work quite hard, but at the same time have to avoid any injuries that might result from excessive practicing.

:) So take it slow and as long as you avoid any bad habits or injuries (as soon as something hurts, you need to take a break to give your body enough time to recover), this will be a great journey for you.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post it in this forum :D

Lukas

Limits are selfmade. Break beyond them!

www.meridirhproductions.com | Too old to learn multiple instruments? Let's put it to a test...

Guitar: Started January 2016

Styles/Genres I am currently studying:

- Classical Guitar

- Latin Style (Flamenco, Soleares)

- Folk Style (Pop, Celtic, Irish, Gypsi)

- (Fingerstyle) Blues

- (Fingerstyle) Jazz

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/11/2018 2:04 pm

It can be hard to believe that EVERY single guitar player who ever lived, no matter how great or how modest, began with their journey with their fingers having to learn all that brand new stuff for the very first time.

Welcome, take your time, and have fun!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
stuboy64
stuboy64
05/13/2018 5:54 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome. Great site to learn, IMO, best out there. Hope you have fun while learning and good luck in your retirement. I’m 54, still have a lil’ ways to go but, hopefully I can enjoy it myself one day. Good luck and rock on.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.