Hello from Canada

vetca
vetca
11/19/2017 12:17 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a 69 year old that has been playing guitar since 14 years of age. I recently retired from veterinary medicine which took up a lot of my time and created a 35 year hiatus in my guitar playing. I've resumed playing and still really enjoy it. I even perform publically at 2 - 3 open mics each week. My biggest problem is re-memorizing lyrics to songs I used to know inside and out. Also my old fingers have slowed down a bit.

Starting with me oldest guitar I have a 1965 Eko 12 String, 1969 Martin D-18, 1977 Unknown Classical Guitar, 1978 Fender Strat, 1979 Guild J-50R and a brand new Chinese made D-45.

I hope to improve my guitar skills and learn some music theory as well as become very familiar with the fretboard (eg know where all the notes are).

I'm here on a 14 day trial membership so I'll see how things go over this time.

I send you all best wishes.

vetca

Just love everything about music.

# 1
MikeT.
MikeT.
11/19/2017 1:08 am

Welcome vetca!! I'm your age and my son-in-law is a vet (London Ont). I've messed around on guitars as long as you have but have had nowhere near your success. An open mike night would be a wild dream.

GT is a good place and at the moment I'm wading through Anders' blues courses 1&2. It's slow progress and no fault of Anders!!

Dazed and Confused.

# 2
vetca
vetca
11/19/2017 8:51 pm

Hey there MikeT. it's a distinct pleasure to meet you. I sure wish we lived closer 'cause I'd love to help ya buddy. In my youth I taught several people to play (my style)

I'm kinda folk, whatever Jimmy Buffet is, Paul Simon, Eagles, Leo Kottke, ol' stuff kinda guy.

With this being only the 2nd day of my trial period I've posted somewhere (subscribed) about where the heck I should begin. I'm totally overwhelmed. I've been to other "teaching sites" before but nothing compares to this. It was sheer luck and good fortune to stumble across this great site.

All I can really offer you is to practice, practice, practice. My finger tips no longer have calluses but they're hard. I just need to build up strength and speed in my left hand again. My right hand was the go to hand for surgery for so many years.

If I can ever help you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Just love everything about music.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.