Greetings from Annapolis, MD

lgherb
lgherb
09/07/2017 11:48 am

Hello,

Signed up for full access today and am looking forward to advancing my guitar abilities. I am a beginner student who has had a few squandered opportunities to become a guitarist over the years.

I'm a lifelong music lover who grew up in New Orleans and benefitted from having parents that were Dixieland Jazz and opera afficianados as well as a bunch of older siblings who were just a couple of years shy of being able to be classified as bona fide hippies. My musicaal interests range from rock, blues, classical, jazz, bluegrass, folk, indie, pop, etc.,. Huge fan of obscure/undiscovered/underappreciated/esoteric artists.

Had false starts as a teenager and young adult. A little over a year ago I pulled out the acoustic guitar I had sitting in its case since the late 90's, had it set up at aa local guitar shop, and started trying to self-teach.

I've been doing dexterity exercises, practicing basic chords, basic scales, etc., but not really progressing in any structured way (which is why I am here).

The good news is that overall, I have been picking up my guitar a minimum of a few times each week (mostly) so I am past the hurdle of creating the habit of having the guitar in my lap almost nightly, callous building, and proficient at getting my fingers on the right string/fret by feel (when scaaling or doing finger exercises). Over the last 2 months, I have been diligent about picking up the guitar nightly for a minimum of 15 minutes, but typically closer to an hour plunking on the strings.

Anyway, enough about me.

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/07/2017 2:08 pm

Welcome to GT and the forum. And guitar.

Your story evokes my own memories about delayed starts and long breaks but you have quickly found the key... consistant and constant practice. GT provides the structure and shows you the what and how.

Always have fun and you'll soon be crossing the Chesapeak Bay Bridge and taking that short trip to the PRS factory.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
lgherb
lgherb
09/07/2017 3:40 pm

Thanks, John.

...or maybe I should take a sailboat to see some of the factories in China! lol.

Looking forward to this and all future journey's in life.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.