New Vox AC15 buzzing when not touching metal

cbramuchi1
cbramuchi1
08/01/2018 12:47 am

I’m using a Jazzmaser plugged into my new Vox AC15 (15W). I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the amp when not touching any metal on my guitar. I identified it as a grounding issue, as the sound would almost completely disappear when i turned the power strip in my room off. A lot of people say the best solution is to try a friend’s house, but as i’ve already tried, i’m wondering if there’s any other known fixes for this problem. Thanks

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
08/01/2018 5:11 pm

Hi cbramuchi1,

You guessed it. The buzzing noise can come from the electric wiring of your outlet/house, which isn't anything you can really easily fix. It can also be other electronics interfering with the amp, or your pickups.

I do suggest plugging it into another socket, or trying to keep other electronics away as a test.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
cbramuchi1
cbramuchi1
08/01/2018 8:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi cbramuchi1,

You guessed it. The buzzing noise can come from the electric wiring of your outlet/house, which isn't anything you can really easily fix. It can also be other electronics interfering with the amp, or your pickups.

I do suggest plugging it into another socket, or trying to keep other electronics away as a test.

Thanks, here’s some more info: plugging it into the same socket but turning off my power strip eliminated the buzz, however completely unplugging the power strip caused it to return. Just to clarify, there’s no power conditioners or other products that can help with this problem?

# 3
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
08/02/2018 1:53 am

I am not an electrician. NOT AT ALL. But I wonder if your power strip isn't acting as a ground when it's turned off but isn't when it's on. I too think at the very least that outlet has problems. I had problems with an outlet and my rig. I was able to get a better sound by finding an outlet on a different circuit in the house. I had an electrician look at the bad outlet (3 pronged) and he said it wasn't grounded properly and that was causing the problem.

# 4
crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
08/28/2023 7:56 am

Another thing that causes buzz is lights.  Is the buzzing worse when your lights are on?

Are your lights on a dimmer switch?  A lot of dimmer circuits cause bad interference

Buzzing problems are really hard to trace.  If you can, identify where your buzz is coming from.  Firstly, simplify your rig to just your amp and guitar plugged in via a single cable.  No other electronics, no pedals, computers, phones, anything else in the room.  Lights off, no fans, no a/c, nothing else.  Bare minimum.

Is the buzz still there?

If not, then your buzz originates from the other parts of your rig like pedals, or your laptop, etc.

If so, then next step would be to try to diagnose the guitar and amp separately to see if it is a guitar ground issue or an amp ground issue.  How exactly you do that I don't know, maybe someone else can help.  But if you eliminate your guitar and amp as the originator of the buzz then your fault may be your house wiring

That's all I got mate, but it may help you part of the way.  Good luck with it

# 6
crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
08/28/2023 8:00 am

Sorry, meant to explain a bit further...

"If not, then your buzz originates from the other parts of your rig like pedals, or your laptop, etc."

Turn back on one thing at a time and see if the buzz comes back
Turn back on lights.  No buzz?  It's not that
Turn back on your computer.  No buzz?  It's not that
Turn on your a/c.  It's buzzing?  Well, looks like you either play without buzz in the heat or you put up with the buzz and stay comfortable  🙂

# 7
glovesgybe
glovesgybe
10/30/2023 7:57 am

When reviewing Vox amplifiers, I frequently recall Rory Gallagher. He was the first individual I can recall using the Vox AC 30 in a more rock-oriented manner, utilizing a treble boost. His performance at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 was captivating because he utilized volume as part of his strategy to produce a truly dynamic spectrum of sound. However, the performance is exceptionally poor.

geometry dash lite

I enjoy modifying amplifiers, and as most people are aware, the simplest and most effective modification to make is to the speakers. I purchased a Celestion Bad Cat that, as I later discovered, was meticulously designed to have the precise bass of ceramic and the snap of Alnico Blue. It does not have the ice burst in the ear phenomenon, but I trimmed the bright caps C4 and C8 anyway. The third limit has nothing to do with increasing luminosity, so I left it at that. This enhances my enjoyment of this amp universe. Continue to be too vibrant. Tone Cut is astonishing.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.