Guitar Storage

gman-one
gman-one
03/07/2012 10:09 pm
Looking for advice or insight on proper way to store a guitar.

Is it OK to hang your guitar form those wall hanging hooks? (designed for the guitar) and for long periods of time?

Or is it better to keep them in the case?
# 1
compart1
compart1
03/07/2012 10:45 pm
Guitar stores leave thier guitar hanging on the wall for who know how long.. They also leave them in guitar stands..
I have a stand for my electric that stay on it constantly.. A hard case for my acoustic .. So far I've never had a problem..
Never lay on the floor. It could get stepped on.
Don't lean it against something.. It could fall.
Don't hang/store on parimeter wall or near air ducts. Do not store in extremely dry or damp areas..
I personally like the stand best.. I easy to see and grab..
That my learning on guitar storage..
Gordon
# 2
Ohmme
Ohmme
03/16/2012 12:29 am
If you leave your guitar on it's case for sure you will not be able to use it often, buy a sturdy guitar stand and leave it in a corner where you could see it often, this way whenever you see your guitar it reminds you to practice and you can easily pick it up!
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
03/19/2012 4:29 pm
if you're inquiring about possible problems from different storage methods... here are a few:

1. make sure that they're atleast stored in a room that is fairly climate controlled. changes in humidity and swings in temperature over time can do a lot of damage to guitar finishes and necks. ie: necks can start pushing frets out of the fretboard, finishes can crack especially around the neck pocket, acoustic guitar braces can start warping, etc. etc

2. be careful about what stands you're buying. some stands have a colored rubber neck rest that can dye your guitars finish if left there over time. i recommend fret rest stands, i haven't had any issues with them.

in conclusion, it's really a matter of opinion. be weary of these few things... and you should be alright.
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/20/2012 8:24 pm
Originally Posted by: aschleman
2. be careful about what stands you're buying. some stands have a colored rubber neck rest that can dye your guitars finish if left there over time. i recommend fret rest stands, i haven't had any issues with them.

Also be careful of handy looking hooks you might find in the local Home Depot. They have some that'll eat the finish right off your '71 Gibson L6 :p
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.