Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H Guitar Head

hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
04/08/2005 4:54 am
Has anyone used this? (Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H Guitar Head) I have been thinking about buying this. I never thought I would play live again, so I sold everything except for a Carvin 4-12. I will be playing with my church group. Any one have any experiance with this head??
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Howard
# 1
Shadowborn
Shadowborn
04/08/2005 8:01 am
As a matter of fact, I just did buy one this past January.

I began looking for a different amp head after becoming dissatisfied with the Amp head that I was currently using. It was a great amp, and I loved the sound of it, but after using it for a time, I found it to be limited for what I needed.

I wanted to find an amp that was: 1. Extremely versatile. (in sound as well as application) 2. Was'nt lacking in various connections. (my current amp was lacking in this area) 3. Would'nt cost me an arm & leg. (I ABSOLUTELY HATE knowing that I'm paying hundreds of dollars EXTRA just for a brand name!!!) 4. Sounded really good. (of course)

After doing a lot of research, and reading tons of reviews; I decided to give the V-Ampire 1200H a try, especially since I already had an Ultra-stack BG412S which was said to be a good match for the V-Ampire. So I ordered one from Musicians Friend. And I'm very glad I did!

The amp has so many cool features that I could sit here for an hour listing them, so instead of doing that; I'll just list a couple of things that I think a new user should know.
First; the manual is a little vague on one feature I found. While in "Configuration Mode" you will notice that the Gain, Bass, Mid, and Treble knobs light up. If you tweak these last three tone controls while in this mode, you can "Tune" the over-all sound of the modeled "Speaker Cabinets" if using them. Like I said; the manual was a little vague on this feature in my opinion.

Second, the amp comes with a simple footswitch. But after doing a little research, I found that a lot of people recommended getting the Behringer FCB1010 Midi foot-controller to work with the V-Ampire.
I ordered the FCB1010 along with the amp, and in my opinion, and for MY needs, it made the V-Ampire come alive. (ironic for the name eh?)
With the FCB1010 you can gain complete control over the amp WITHOUT any MIDI programing at all!!! Of course, if you wish, you can use the board to control the amp any way you want. But my point is, without any programing I was able to take the FCB1010 straight from the box, hook it up to the amp, and instantly gain the use of: instant foot-pedal call-up of ANY preset or Bank (factory or user), real-time volume pedal control, the second real-time foot-pedal acts as a Wah pedal that is frequency-sweep adjustable. Very cool!!!

All-in-all........, I am very pleased with this amp. Sound and Features.

But of course, everyone has different tastes when it comes to Amps, and guitar equipment in general. So all I can do is give you my personal opinion on the V-Ampire. And that is........., this is an awesome Amp!!!

If you wish to know anything about the amp, just ask me, and I'll do my best to give ya an honest answer. :cool:
If eyes are the mirror to the soul, you will see yourself as I see you
# 2
tommythacatxx
tommythacatxx
04/08/2005 5:33 pm
I don't know if this will help you at all, but about a month ago, I purchased a Behringer GMX 212. It's a 2x12 modeling amp with a very impressive list of built in effects. I was very impressed with it in both it's sound and quality. Best of all, I purchased this amp for under $300. Overall, I think Behringer is something definatelly worth looking into. It's no Marshall by no means, but it's very impressive and very affordable. Don't let the price fool you.
# 3
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
hbkolb
Whats an Yngwie??
04/08/2005 10:53 pm
I appreciate your input on this,
Thank you,
Howard
# 4
wellstonok
wellstonok
04/20/2016 1:46 am
I bought Behringer V-Ampire LX1200h used for $99.00 plus 25 shipping.

Built a cab with (2) Celestion 70/80 s. I run the amp in mono mode

with 8 ohms impedance on the cab.

Great setup, clean and loud. Effects are great.

I have very good Fender, Peavey and Vox amps. I find myself

using the Behringer setup most of the time.

Go for it, you will be suprised
# 5
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
05/03/2016 5:21 pm
Curious what head you used with your Carvin cab? I have a Carvin half stack with the Valvemaster (100w) head I bought 20yrs ago and would put it up against any Marshall of that same time period. Unfortunately I don't run and gun like I did back then so it's covered the majority of the time, but still unleash it from time to time. DID think about getting a Behringer combo though, since I love the V-Amp I got quite some time ago. Let me/us know how the head is working out if you got it...
# 6
wellstonok
wellstonok
09/16/2017 1:56 am

I bought htis amp several years ago. Very solid, great features and sounds great with the twin twelve cab I built (2 Celestion 70/80 s 8 ohm total impedence).

For under $200.00 you can't beat this Amp. I have Fenders, Gibson, Line 6, and Peavey amps. For some reason, I come back to the Behringer Lx1200H.

No issues so far, gig ready.

Victor

# 7
bomt1999
bomt1999
10/02/2017 1:18 pm

I want to get one but I'm short on money. I think I gotta go back tohttp://onlineroulettewheel.co.uk and get ssome side profit. My salary won't pay for this materpiece

# 8
cross5
cross5
05/05/2018 7:32 am

I bought the fcb1010 but I'm having trouble hooking it up. I just want to be able to control the lx1200h channels with the foot switch. How can I do that?

# 9
cross5
cross5
05/05/2018 9:52 am

My lx1200h has been resetting my stores bank prese5s pretty much every time I turn it off. Anyone know why?

# 10
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
05/05/2018 12:18 pm
Originally Posted by: cross5

My lx1200h has been resetting my stores bank prese5s pretty much every time I turn it off. Anyone know why?

The internal battery needs replacing.

# 11
seay.james
Full Access
seay.james
Full Access
05/12/2018 6:07 pm

I have no experience with that particular head but I am willing to bet that it will be waaay waay too loud for your needs. 120 watts through 4 x12 can generate up to 128dB! You will likely never be able to turn the master volume beyond 1.75 to 2.25. If that.

The first problem is the 4 x 12. Assuming the speakers are rated at 99dB, just passing 1 watt to each speaker will get you to 110dB. That is already the top of how loud you want to be. Just based on the speaker sensitivity and the fact that there is 4 of them!

Here is an example of what happens when you are too loud. Last night, I went to see 3 bands play at a local bar...

Opening Act: Some sort of Marshall head through a 4 x 12. Some feedback. Could hear and decipher maybe 40% of the vocals.

Middle Act: Mesa Triple Rectifier through a 4 x 12. Guitar player had to stand in one particular spot to avoid feedback. Couldn't move at-all. Could hear and decipher maybe 10% of the vocals. People left the bar because their attention wasn't kept.

Main Act: Bad Cat 30-watt combo. Guitar sounded perfect. Could hear the vocals clearly. Heard and understood 80%-plus of the singing. This act sounded the best because they relied on their sound guy for the proper volume and mix.

And this a bar! I cannot imagine a 4x12 in a worship situation!

Ask any music store or amp manufacturer. 90% of what they sell are combos now. It sounds better to use a combo and let the PA system better control the mix and volume.

20 years ago, bands were *not* mic-ing the guitar backline which is why they used half-stacks. Now-a-days they mic the guitar backline. U2's The Edge plays stadiums with a 12-watt or an 30-watt combo. Keith Richards plays stadiums with a 45-watt combo.

You need to ask your church will you be mic-ing my amp?" The best answer is "Yes."

Behringer also has a spotty reputation as a brand.

You Tubers have been raving about the Boss Katana line of modeling amps. I would save your back and your ears by rejecting the Behringer, selling your 4 x 12, and looking into the Boss Katana.

Hope this helps.

# 12
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
05/12/2018 8:06 pm
Originally Posted by: seay.james

I have no experience with that particular head but I am willing to bet that it will be waaay waay too loud for your needs. 120 watts through 4 x12 can generate up to 128dB! You will likely never be able to turn the master volume beyond 1.75 to 2.25. If that.

The first problem is the 4 x 12. Assuming the speakers are rated at 99dB, just passing 1 watt to each speaker will get you to 110dB. That is already the top of how loud you want to be. Just based on the speaker sensitivity and the fact that there is 4 of them!

Here is an example of what happens when you are too loud. Last night, I went to see 3 bands play at a local bar...

Opening Act: Some sort of Marshall head through a 4 x 12. Some feedback. Could hear and decipher maybe 40% of the vocals.

Middle Act: Mesa Triple Rectifier through a 4 x 12. Guitar player had to stand in one particular spot to avoid feedback. Couldn't move at-all. Could hear and decipher maybe 10% of the vocals. People left the bar because their attention wasn't kept.

Main Act: Bad Cat 30-watt combo. Guitar sounded perfect. Could hear the vocals clearly. Heard and understood 80%-plus of the singing. This act sounded the best because they relied on their sound guy for the proper volume and mix.

And this a bar! I cannot imagine a 4x12 in a worship situation!

Ask any music store or amp manufacturer. 90% of what they sell are combos now. It sounds better to use a combo and let the PA system better control the mix and volume.

20 years ago, bands were *not* mic-ing the guitar backline which is why they used half-stacks. Now-a-days they mic the guitar backline. U2's The Edge plays stadiums with a 12-watt or an 30-watt combo. Keith Richards plays stadiums with a 45-watt combo.

You need to ask your church will you be mic-ing my amp?" The best answer is "Yes."

Behringer also has a spotty reputation as a brand.

You Tubers have been raving about the Boss Katana line of modeling amps. I would save your back and your ears by rejecting the Behringer, selling your 4 x 12, and looking into the Boss Katana.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if you were aware but the original post was from 2005, that recently became resurrected.

# 13
joescott13
Full Access
joescott13
Full Access
05/15/2018 8:02 pm

I don't have a V-Ampire but I do own several Bugera tube amps which are a Behringer brand. I would encourage you to look at the Bugera's even though they are a little more expensive - but much less expensive than similar tube amps.

I've spent a lot of money over time on amps and pedals to try to get a great tube overdriven sound and never achieved it until I actually bought my first tube amp. If you're going to spend $200 for an amp and another $200 or so on pedals, I'd suggest taking the $400 and try a couple tube amps that would be around that price range.

-Joe

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.