Where on earth in the middle c on the guitar?????

Guitar Tricks Forum > Music Theory > Where on earth in the middle c on the guitar?????

heeeeeelppppppppppp!!!
i need to compose this peice of music for a piano for my music class. dont have a piano so i'm using a guitar. i need to know where middle C is so that i can start writting in treble and bass clef.

thanks

heeeeeelppppppppppp!!!
i need to compose this peice of music for a piano for my music class. dont have a piano so i'm using a guitar. i need to know where middle C is so that i can start writting in treble and bass clef.

thanks

Middle c

Middle C on the guitar is either 8th fret E string, or 3rd fret A string. That doesn't give you much room for playing more bassy stuff. Guitar is a treble clef based instrument and as such you don;t really need to use a bass clef. Even low E can be written on treble clef with 3 ledger lines. Borrow a crappy old casiotone or something. One of ur older relatives will have one gathering dust.

Middle c

Middle C on the guitar is either 8th fret E string, or 3rd fret A string. That doesn't give you much room for playing more bassy stuff. Guitar is a treble clef based instrument and as such you don;t really need to use a bass clef. Even low E can be written on treble clef with 3 ledger lines. Borrow a crappy old casiotone or something. One of ur older relatives will have one gathering dust.

Actually, it's more accurate to say that middle C on the guitar is the fifth fret G string, or 1st fret B string. You're right, when we see a middle C on the page, we play it at either of the locations you mentioned. However, the guitar is a transposing instrument. It plays an octave lower than it reads. If you ask anybody else for middle C, the note they will give you is the one that sounds at the fifth fret G string, or first B string.

Actually, it's more accurate to say that middle C on the guitar is the fifth fret G string, or 1st fret B string. You're right, when we see a middle C on the page, we play it at either of the locations you mentioned. However, the guitar is a transposing instrument. It plays an octave lower than it reads. If you ask anybody else for middle C, the note they will give you is the one that sounds at the fifth fret G string, or first B string.

luigi is right.

luigi is right.

High Bandwidth

I back Luigi

I back Luigi

High Bandwidth

hey, what's the deal with the dates of these posts? I think we've been had!

hey, what's the deal with the dates of these posts? I think we've been had!

word

word

link4g

I searched on Google and one of the most popular links for middle C on guitar was this one.

I think I should post a correction. While if you were looking guitarcentricly you might say that the C on 5th fret G string or 1st fret B string is middle C. In the western world of music middle C is defined as C4, which is matched to the guitar 3rd fret A string or 8th fret LowE string. This is because the LowE string on guitar is tuned standardly to E3 and the next C is C4 (the number group of the notes starts on C or commonly known as Do).

No offense to anyone posting incorrect information without knowing it's incorrect; it's nobody's fault to be unwittingly incorrect about something.

Cheers :)

I searched on Google and one of the most popular links for middle C on guitar was this one.

I think I should post a correction. While if you were looking guitarcentricly you might say that the C on 5th fret G string or 1st fret B string is middle C. In the western world of music middle C is defined as C4, which is matched to the guitar 3rd fret A string or 8th fret LowE string. This is because the LowE string on guitar is tuned standardly to E3 and the next C is C4 (the number group of the notes starts on C or commonly known as Do).

No offense to anyone posting incorrect information without knowing it's incorrect; it's nobody's fault to be unwittingly incorrect about something.

gsn1074

I am just starting guitar and have the same question. I created this mapping diagram to flesh out my understanding (trying to leverage my little understanding of piano). Can someone please confirm this is correct, and if not let me know how it is wrong.

The tone of middle c on the piano (C4), is annotated on the ledger line between the treble and bass cleff on the grand staff. That same tone (C4) is played on the guitar at the first fret of the B string (or 5th on G, or 10th on D, or 15th on A, or 20th on low E), but it is noted on the treble cleff (in guitar notation) as the C in FACE.

guitar to piano mapping

I am just starting guitar and have the same question. I created this mapping diagram to flesh out my understanding (trying to leverage my little understanding of piano). Can someone please confirm this is correct, and if not let me know how it is wrong.

The tone of middle c on the piano (C4), is annotated on the ledger line between the treble and bass cleff on the grand staff. That same tone (C4) is played on the guitar at the first fret of the B string (or 5th on G, or 10th on D, or 15th on A, or 20th on low E), but it is noted on the treble cleff (in guitar notation) as the C in FACE.

guitar to piano mapping

gsn1074

Originally Posted by: link4g

Is the low E string tuned to E3? My Mel Bay guitar book has it mapped to E2, which would make Luigi (post #3) correct. In fact all reference material I can find shows low E mapped to E2 not E3.

Originally Posted by: link4g

Is the low E string tuned to E3? My Mel Bay guitar book has it mapped to E2, which would make Luigi (post #3) correct. In fact all reference material I can find shows low E mapped to E2 not E3.