How to Plan a Practice Session

trdcpa
Full Access
trdcpa
Full Access
03/30/2020 4:08 pm

I've been trying to play for some time now, but have had limited results. I'm bliitzing through (and discarding) the Lisa McCormack videos, finding them too basic and of little to no use. I need to pick up the guitar and PRACTICE! Are there any videos that help with planning a meaningful practice session? I'm thinking, at the moment:

Warm-up

Basic scales (C-major and G-major, both in the open position, for me right now)

Basic chords and chord changes

Latch on to a song and stick with it until it sounds like something

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/30/2020 6:03 pm

I'll share what I like to do but, beware, it comes without preapproval by those that know their way around a guitar (or a practice session).

I recommend to all players, particularly newbies, the book, [u]Zen Guitar[/u], by Philip Toshio Sudo. Despite its title, it is not about Zen, it's not even about how to play. Instead, it is about the mindset of guitar and how to approach learning the instrument. It's a small book and a short read but it's a read that I and others do over and over. It is motivational. (do a Forum search -- you'll find a couple threads about the book). New or used, the price won't break the bank... $12 for Amazon Kindle, $6 to $13 for paperback from Amazon.

Learning guitar is an unending road. It is not a race, it is not a competition. It's about music and having fun.

Good luck and have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
trdcpa
Full Access
trdcpa
Full Access
03/30/2020 7:05 pm

Thanks, John. Liked what you said so much that I have already added Zen Guitar to my Kindle.

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/31/2020 2:58 am

Good deal! Glad I helped.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
Keith Altazin
Keith Altazin
03/31/2020 2:00 pm

Thanks John, great advice. Time is not the issue for me, focus is. Your advice on planning practice sessions should have occurred to me since I am a teacher, lol!

# 5
klee9
klee9
03/31/2020 3:54 pm

[br]Thanks John, I may use this quote below if you don't mind. Good stuff!

"Learning guitar is an unending road. It is not a race, it is not a competition. It's about music and having fun"--john

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/31/2020 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: klee9

[br]Thanks John, I may use this quote below if you don't mind. Good stuff!

"Learning guitar is an unending road. It is not a race, it is not a competition. It's about music and having fun"--john

Cool!

-- Chet Atkins
# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/31/2020 10:36 pm
Originally Posted by: Keith Altazin

Thanks John, great advice. Time is not the issue for me, focus is. Your advice on planning practice sessions should have occurred to me since I am a teacher, lol!

Where do you think I learned it from? My Lady is a retired Spec Ed teacher. I told her of your post and we both had a good chuckle about your 'Doh!' moment.

Good luck, have fun.

-- Chet Atkins
# 8
manXcat
manXcat
03/31/2020 10:37 pm

"Any advice will be gratefully appreciated".

For thinkers without blinkers, I've always found this guy's considered advice worth listening to.

Works for me. Might for you?

Cheers.

manXcat

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.