Brian May did it. Have you?

billcrawford
billcrawford
06/25/2001 10:04 pm
Has anyone successfully made their own guitar? Brian's Red Special was a real home-made affair, and he maintains that he can't play anything else. Having just watched the video of his Master Session again, I wonder if anyone else has a genuine home made axe that they would not part with, but more importantly, that they still play!
"Its what you DON'T play that sets you apart from the mundane."
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
06/26/2001 3:20 am
No, but I have always wanted to. Its one thing to create your own unique guitar style, but it must be an incredible rush to know that you had the opportunity to perfect the structure of your instrument in every possible way. This is a good topic, I wonder if other ever had the chance to do so, or are seriously thinking about it. Brian May's Red Light special is a beautiful instrument.

-Joseph

[Edited by Joseph on 06-25-2001 at 11:26 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/26/2001 4:18 pm
I was gradually accumulating bits of woodworking gear to do just that. Then, last year I moved, and left it all behind. I'm starting again.

And the geometric calculations involved in designing the fretboard profile are fascinating.

Meanwhile I keep finding guitars that have features worth incorporating in my design.

I don't want to turn it into a career, so I want to get it right the first time. Of course the fact that I own several guitars that are different from each other probably indicates that I'll probably end up making several.

Or none. :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
06/27/2001 6:26 am
I'd love to build my own guitar. I think there is something special about knowing what you're playing is a once off, not some batch roled off in the factor. More importantly, the fact you put so many workhours into it probably only means you appreciate and enjoy playing it more.
If you were to design your own guitar though, would you base it exactly on a current style, (strat, tele, SG, etc.), losely on a current style with your own variations, or just intevent something totally off the wall. I'd like to design something totally off the the wall, but I think I'd probably have to tip the hat alittle towards Ibanez JS or JEM models. As well as PRS, they're beautiful guitars, aren't they?

Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/27/2001 11:02 pm
I've been tempted to buy a Warmouth neck and body and make a bass... or more. My financial situation keeps stopping me though.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.