Cakewalk recording questions....

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
06/24/2004 7:40 am
My knowledge of recording software is somewhat rudimentary. I was wondering if any veterans could help me out.

I use Cakewalk, but I don't have a manual because it's my friend's copy (he upgraded to different software and gave me Cakewalk) and he misplaced the manual. So I've had to figure out pretty much everything by trial and error. There are two questions I have for people familiar with Cakewalk.

1) How do I punch in (i.e. preselect a specific section of the track that I can re-record over as much as I like)? Currently, I queue up the music somewhat, press record, turn off the monitor, and wait till the specific section of music comes up that I want to record over. I'm sure there's a way to punch in the specific section and make it easier though.

2) How do I pan channels for stereo effects? I've played with the console mode, but haven't had any success isolating channels.

Thanks,

Matt :)
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/24/2004 11:53 am
Cakewalk make several different recording packages, do you mean in Sonar ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
06/24/2004 5:31 pm
I use Pro Audio 9, and can help with that, but like Dr_simon said, Cakewalk makes a lot of different recording software. Let us know which one your using.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
06/25/2004 5:09 am
Yeah, it's Pro Audio 9 :)
# 4
HDJ
HDJ
06/25/2004 5:23 pm
I'll will have to get back to you on your first question about punch in and out. I know how to do it, but I'm at work now and will have to look at it to be able to explain it clearly. I will get back to you on it.

As for question 2, open the audio view, right click on the audio signal you want to pan and apply a pan envelope to the signal. You can control the amount of the pan graphically with a line that will appear when you create the envelope. Move the line up to pan left, and down to pan right. You can also add nodes to the moveable line so you can make the pan go back and forth. Hope this helps, I'm not the greatest at explaining things.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.