Lead Boost

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
06/24/2004 12:45 am
I am sure this subject has been brought up quite a few times and i even think i brought it up once but i am gonna re-do it .

Ok, i am going to get a trio band together so when a lead comes up, i need to get my amp a little louder so it stands out more than the bass but i dont know how to do it. Ive tried my mxr doubleshot dist. pedal but it doesnt boost loudness, just gain, and tone etc. I want to have something that when im playing, to hit something so my my volume goes up and nothing else changes, i hear that volume pedals take away gain so i dont want that. I just want something to simply boost volume nothing else, so i can put any of my pedals to that volume, or just my original amp sound boosted, then simply go back to rythm volume. Please help and if possible explain how you do all of your lead boosts. thanks
Mike ;)
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
06/24/2004 1:05 am
For the MXR, just turn the gain down all the way and put the level up to the desired amount. You can also do what I do and use an EQ, just throw all the levels up by the same amount that way it doens't change the sound, just gets louder.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Badlands53
Badlands53
06/24/2004 1:34 am
I've never been able to try it, but I've heard that putting a volume pedal in the effects loop of the amp (not before the input of the amp) changes the volume but keeps everything else the same. It works kind of like a power attenuator (sp?).
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/24/2004 1:42 am
One way of doing this is with a stomp box.

The other is switching channels on your amp. With a stomp box it is possible to make the clean channel dirty. Then you want to go ballistic swap to your (louder) dirty channel.

Instant sunshine !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/24/2004 3:05 am
I've heard a bunch of bad reviews of Fulltone, but this was the first of its kind that I ever saw, so here:

Click me or die

I'll try to find the "build-your-own" version...

OK, here's the schematic from the guy who dissed Fulltone:

Jack Orman AMZ Mosfet Booster
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
06/25/2004 12:27 am
dr.simon- Can i use the clean channel for my lead instead of rhythm so i can change from my dirty channel(Rhythm) to the clean channel with stomp box for lead? Instead of the other way around....?
Mike ;)
# 6
Liys
Liys
06/26/2004 8:27 am
Originally Posted by: MadGuitarest...i need to get my amp a little louder so it stands out more than the bass ...

They are 2 ways to get what you want,
- Mod the pedal
- Get another pedal for clean boost.

Modding pedal:
Switching in a Led or to 2 LEDs in place of the Diode(s) in that pedal's clipping stage will give you what you want. The Led will less compress the sound therefore you'll hear your guitar much louder (try switching in 1 first, and hear if it's good enough to make your bassist compalin of not hearing his own chop!) but here your are likely to alter the amount of drive (just very little). But of course good enough a lead player. But this all works if you know what I'm talking about and it's the simplest and cheapest solution. See my DS-1 Ultimate mod here? The heavy duty boost switch I add just for that purpose, and I even put a trimpot so you can adjust the loudness of your Lead to your liking.

The next option is, get another distortion/overdrive, anything will do actually. Vai uses DS-1 as some kinda clean boost, similar to how SRV uses 2 TSs, 1 to push the other one (but more likely his purpose was to get more gain out of TS rather than more loudness). The settup is like, 1 distortion/overdrive's drive set to '0' (zero) volume to normal or hi (try what's best for you!) and tone to your liking. The second Dist/OD, set them as you always do, but set the Drive a bit lower than u used to.

In my setup I use 2 ODs (Ibanez and Maxon POD1) this is to get a nice gain overdrive, I'd switch on my DS-1 Ultimate Mod that I place in front of those two everytime I need louder Lead.
# 7
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
06/28/2004 5:43 pm
that all sounds kinda complicated, i am thinking about buying an eq pedal if that works... Can you put the eq pedal on and the stomp box on at the same time so you can use whateer effect on the eq pedal??
Mike ;)
# 8
merker
merker
07/01/2004 10:48 pm
Nobels preamp booster
This is exactly what you're looking for! Check out this out.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Nobels/PRE_1_Preamp_Booster-01.html
Playing Guitar is fun!
# 9
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
07/02/2004 1:10 am
i see, but it makes you wonder if this is what it is that even proffessionals in the music business would use them, i mean i never have seen that on any gutiarests equipment, im wondering what do gutiarests like kirk hammett, and like randy rhoads use to boost solo?
Mike ;)
# 10
SPL
SPL
07/02/2004 3:34 am
If you have trouble being heard over the bass, I bet there's more going on than just volume issues. In other words, if you are able to adjust the equalization of the bass and guitar properly, you probably won't even need a volume boost.
# 11
Dunesurfer
Dunesurfer
08/15/2004 7:01 pm
I ues a jekyl and hyde pedal for a lead boost. Very good tone.
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.