Gibson Digital Guitars

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/22/2004 1:26 am
Gibson will be releasing some Digital Guitars this summer, anybody plan on checking them out? I know I will!

Basically, what they have so far is an Ethernet cable going from the guitar to your computer, an output that goes into an 8-output breaker box (6 of which are for the strings to go to individual amps or speakers), and a bunch of other stuff they haven't completely told us about yet. I plan on trying it out, seeing if it's worth my time, what about you?

~Incidents
# 1
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/22/2004 2:26 am
I'm intrigued. Any idea as to how much one of those bad boys'll run ya?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/22/2004 2:26 am
Hey IH,
I think this technology has been round for a while ! I seem to remember quite a heated thread or two about this time last year when they announced this idea to the press !

Have you seen the new Vaieax with the carved top ? I still haven't got around to checking them out but i still figure they could be a lot of fun!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/22/2004 3:20 am
That's true, the technology, as far as having "different outputs per string" has been out, as far as I can remember, 1974. Alembic had just finished Phil Lesh's Quadrophonic Bass that had some two dozen knobs on it, that they modded onto a Guild hollowbody bass.

Certain things make this unique though; For one, Line 6 isn't really an established "Guitar-Making" company. They are established as one of the best companies for making effects, that's all; Gibson is considered by many to be the King of all Mass-Produced Guitar companies; The fact that you get a great guitar (A Les Paul Standard) with these kinds of options is amazing. Personally, I hope it does well, because it can run Synths, and supposedly can be "30 to 30,000 times faster than MIDI tracking". That is a very large difference in numbers, I wonder where they got those stats?

~Incidents
# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
06/22/2004 6:07 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenPersonally, I hope it does well, because it can run Synths, and supposedly can be "30 to 30,000 times faster than MIDI tracking". That is a very large difference in numbers, I wonder where they got those stats?

thats a very good question and i cant realy imagine that this is true. i personally use midi-synths on my axes (roland GK2AH pickup plus roland GI-20 interface and XV2020 soundmodule) and i can play at virtually any speed without having any delays in the midi-processing. so i wonder what a 30,000 times faster thingy is good for. i mean - i´m fast when i want to, but not THAT fast *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/23/2004 3:14 am
Originally Posted by: Azraelthats a very good question and i cant realy imagine that this is true. i personally use midi-synths on my axes (roland GK2AH pickup plus roland GI-20 interface and XV2020 soundmodule) and i can play at virtually any speed without having any delays in the midi-processing. so i wonder what a 30,000 times faster thingy is good for. i mean - i´m fast when i want to, but not THAT fast *LOL*

Azrael, I'm considering getting one of the XV series Roland MIDI processors (along with a Roland Midi pickup and the GI-20), but I am unsure of whether I should get the XV2020, XV5050, or XV5080. The prices are as follows-

XV2020- $600
XV5050- $800
XV5080- $1400

I plan on using MIDI a decent amount, both live, in the studio, and at practice; I'm just curious what the difference is from a musicians perspective (The Roland website doesn't put it in the best terms). Thanks-

~Incidents
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
06/23/2004 5:22 am
i´m very satisfied with the xv2020 - it has a vast variety of great sounds and you have the possibility of putting expansion boards in it too. there are some sound-samples on their homepage and they REALY rock! i´m realy happy with it and i use it as a soundmodule for recording on the computer aswell along with my akai stuff.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
Jesse Pattinson
Jesse Pattinson
06/23/2004 9:00 am
I hope it doesn't do too well... it would be a crying shame if it were to push aside the good ol' fashioned guitar and amp. It wouldn't hurt I guess to try it out.

Does it have normal outputs as well as the ethernet?
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.