Dumb question alert

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/19/2004 9:45 pm
Can somebody with a better knowledge of scales answer this question for me. Theory crap like this just drive me nuts....

Q: What scale would be suitable for a solo over the following
chord proggression:

Dsus2/A Dm/A Cadd9 Cadd11 G7sus4/c Cadd11
Dmadd11/C G5/c

My answer would be "play whatever the hell sounds good", but I don't think that's the answer this guy is looking for :rolleyes:
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
06/19/2004 11:33 pm

Dsus2/A ==> A, D, E
Dm/A ==> A, D, F
Cadd9 ==> C, E, G, D
Cadd11 ==> C, E, G, F
G7sus4/C ==> C, G, D, F
Cadd11 ==> C, E, G, F
Dmadd11/C ==> C, D, F, A, G
G5/C ==> C, G, D

There are a plethora of scales and modes to choose from, but knowing that the one you pick must contain A, C, D, E, F, G, like the chords do, really helps. The thing that the note analyzation does best is to tell you that you have the choice of playing either Bb or B, yielding two groups of notes -- A, Bb, C, D, E, F, G and A, B, C, D, E, F, G.

From the looks of the progression, it seems like the tonal center is a type of D minor. With the group of notes above, your choices are reduced to two scales - D Dorian and D Aeolian. Using Aeolian, with the Bb sounds more Spanish, whereas the Dorian sounds more Jazzy (BUT, you have to be careful, because the B can sound funny if you're not used correctly).

The above was written without actually playing the chords, so if the advice sucks, sorry! Haha, I think it should work, though. Care to record the backing and post a link to it? That way, I could try some stuff out over it and give a more definite answer.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
06/19/2004 11:45 pm
Hmmm, I was trying to simplify the chords you posted, playing around with similar progression I wrote (Dm, C, G5). I definately prefer playing B instead of Bb. However, the way my progression goes [Dm, C, G5, G5], it sounds like G Mixolydian. Again, I'd like to listen to a recording from you.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2004 4:08 pm
ok...kewl, I appreciate it.
I just needed a basic answer for the guy...
I never use scales as a basis for coming up with solo's so every time somebody asks me a question like this I'm like 'duh... well why don't you just play something melodic that fits the song'. Guess that's what happens when ya learn to play by ear first and learn theory later in life.
I still don't get how some people manage to think about music in terms of numbers and names.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.