Does a great guitar player need to have a great technique?

beginner
beginner
06/18/2004 3:50 pm
Maybe this poll has already been on this forum once, but nevertheless I decided to post, because I´m REALLY interested in the results!
# 1
TheWizard
TheWizard
06/18/2004 6:49 pm
first of all technique is subjective, and no one can really define good technique

look at Wes Montgomery, easily one of the top jazz players of all time, but he picks with his thumb, he doesnt fingerpick, but he uses his thumb like a regular flatpick, is that correct technique? i doubt it
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
06/18/2004 7:25 pm
To me it depends on the style of music so its a Yes and No answer...Goodf technique is always nice to have and can help alot but you dont have to have it..I mean look at hendrix...he was a sloppy player but people loved him and his music...Like I said earlier it depends on the style...Somthing like classical music is very demanding with technique (well some of it is) and Its not very easy to get away with sloppy playing wheras if you play metal, you can hide alot of it behind distortion (Im not saying you can hide if all..like if you solo then im sure you want to have good technique so you dont sound bad)
Like I said...Its a yes and no asnwer for me
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 3
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
06/18/2004 8:11 pm
what makes a great guitar player/musician is not technique. speed or anything like that. Its his or hers' ability to play exaclty what they hear in their head without even thinking about it. That is what in my opinion makes a great guitar player.
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/19/2004 5:15 am
Technique is the construction crew on the bridge between your mind and your sound that makes the road, and the ride, alot easier to manage. It's up to you to say how smooth you want that road to be.

I like the new look on the site, by the way, looks sharp.

~Incidents
# 5
beginner
beginner
06/19/2004 2:23 pm
But to sound great you don´t need to abe to play 16th at 220bpm. what I meant with great technique is for example the level of malmsteen.
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/20/2004 6:48 pm
"But to sound great you don´t need to abe to play 16th at 220bpm. what I meant with great technique is for example the level of malmsteen."

It sounds like you are trying to give yourself some self-assurance in not spending the hours in development of a great technique. This is like people who say "Is music theory really important?". How is that even a question? People are lazy, and like to give themselves excuses to not do something they think they won't enjoy. "Well, Hendrix couldn't read music, so I don't either!" - "Well Clapton doesn't have a great technique, and he kicks ass!"

When will the stupidity end?

~Incidents
# 7
TheWizard
TheWizard
06/20/2004 7:16 pm
dude incidents, you don't have to push this theory/technique stuff

theory and technique are completely differenent, someone can have terrible technique and still know everything about theory and visa versa

and if someone has the talent/ear to play without learning an ounce of music theory then thats great, go for it
# 8
beginner
beginner
06/20/2004 9:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents Happen"But to sound great you don´t need to abe to play 16th at 220bpm. what I meant with great technique is for example the level of malmsteen."

It sounds like you are trying to give yourself some self-assurance in not spending the hours in development of a great technique. This is like people who say "Is music theory really important?". How is that even a question? People are lazy, and like to give themselves excuses to not do something they think they won't enjoy. "Well, Hendrix couldn't read music, so I don't either!" - "Well Clapton doesn't have a great technique, and he kicks ass!"

When will the stupidity end?

~Incidents

Sorry man, but your presumption about me is unfortunately wrong. Why do you think, just because I think that to sound great, you don´t have to have a great technique, which is actually true, that I am trying to give myself some self-assurance in not spending the hours in development of a great technique? Why would I otherwise offer half of my practicing time in technique?
And to the theory thing, I´m also not one of those who doubt the importance of theory. But I also put efforts in improving my ear, because I think a good knowledge of music theory will really have great advantages, when you have a good ear and vice versa.

What I want to say is just that technique in my opinion is a bit overrated in comparison to other necessary things, without narrowing the imporance of it.
# 9
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2004 9:47 pm
Originally Posted by: TheWizardfirst of all technique is subjective, and no one can really define good technique[/QUOTE]
Of course you can.
Like everything else, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.
The right thing may not necessarily be the most suitable or the best option,
but there's definitely a right way to play guitar.

[QUOTE=Jimmi431]what makes a great guitar player/musician is not technique, speed or anything like that. QUOTE]
Thats your opinion.

[QUOTE=Incidents Happen]People are lazy, and like to give themselves excuses to not do something they think they won't enjoy. [I]"Well, Hendrix couldn't read music, so I don't either!" - "Well Clapton doesn't have a great technique, and he kicks ass!"

I agree!
I'm not saying that you are like that "beginner", but alot of people are.
# 10
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2004 9:52 pm
Originally Posted by: TheWizardfirst of all technique is subjective, and no one can really define good technique[/QUOTE]
Of course you can.

Originally Posted by: Jimmi431what makes a great guitar player/musician is not technique, speed or anything like that.

Thats your opinion.

[QUOTE=Incidents Happen]People are lazy, and like to give themselves excuses to not do something they think they won't enjoy. [I]"Well, Hendrix couldn't read music, so I don't either!" - "Well Clapton doesn't have a great technique, and he kicks ass!"

I agree!
I'm not saying that you are like that "beginner", but alot of people are.
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/21/2004 3:50 am
Originally Posted by: beginner Why do you think, just because I think that to sound great, you don´t have to have a great technique, which is actually true

Says who? You?

If it [U]were [/U] true, then the polls wouldn't look they do.

Speaking of which, lets look at the [U]polls[/U]
7 people say you need a great technique to be great
5 people say you don't.

If this were a presidental election and the state wasn't Florida where the states are counting ballots, then you would be [U]wrong[/U]. And if you say that the polls don't matter, then why did you have a poll? Face it, you won't make it to the big stage if you can't play consistently well and clean (which is the essential part of good technique). I never thought I'd see musicians who didn't think a great technique was important...Takes all kinds.

Still the sympathetic softie
~Incidents
# 12
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/21/2004 4:29 am
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenSays who? You?

5 people say you don't.

If this were a presidental election and the state wasn't Florida where the states are counting ballots, then you would be [U]wrong[/U]. And if you say that the polls don't matter, then why did you have a poll?

Ouch, sorry, gotta call you on this one, Incidents... Let's take a look at who has voted in the polls, and while we're at it, who hasn't voted. How can you say that a poll of 12 persons on this board is [U]at all[/U] representative of the 60,556 members, or the 50-100 actively posting members?

I did say that I felt that good technique was necessary, but I only said that because I define good technique as "playing the guitar well". So it was pretty obvious to me that you need to play the instrument well in order to become a great guitar player. If I had for one moment thought that it meant playing perfectly, or superfast, I would have swung to a no.

Thus, even our little microcosmic 12 vote poll would have been a dead heat, 6 to 6. Hung jury. Don't flip the switch yet, governor.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 13
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/21/2004 4:45 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanOuch, sorry, gotta call you on this one, Incidents... Let's take a look at who has voted in the polls, and while we're at it, who hasn't voted. How can you say that a poll of 12 persons on this board is [U]at all[/U] representative of the 60,556 members, or the 50-100 actively posting members?

I did say that I felt that good technique was necessary, but I only said that because I define good technique as "playing the guitar well". So it was pretty obvious to me that you need to play the instrument well in order to become a great guitar player. If I had for one moment thought that it meant playing perfectly, or superfast, I would have swung to a no.

I believe there are some misconceptions about "Great Technique" and what it is. I don't like Yngwie or Steve Vai, and my idea of Great Technique isn't around those two.

My idea of great technique is the ability to very consistently be able to play clean (no sloppiness), use a wide range of dynamics, the ability to adapt to many styles and changes in music (that is, to adapt your technique as needed), to have individual dexterity for each finger, and have some virtuoso tricks up your sleeve (doesn't mean you have to use them, just know them). Does a person need all these? I think a person needs the majority of them if they want to be regarded as a seriously talented musician; It depends on what you consider "good". It is important. Is it the most important thing? No. Like I said before, technique is the construction crew on the bridge between your mind and your sound. It's up to you to decide how smooth you want the road to be. And about Music Theory, I made a comparison of those who disregard Technique with those who disregard Music Theory; What's wrong with that?

~Incidents
# 14
ktcobain
ktcobain
06/21/2004 6:13 am
influence also very important... if a person manage to create a new technique and influence the whole guitar world, i think that is also a main criteria to become a great guitarist. with awesome guitar technique and style supporting his new technique... i bet the guy will be a great guitarist of all time like yngwie J malmsteen
# 15
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/21/2004 12:36 pm
well put! But don't forget that if the 'author' isn't selling, than nobody's going to buy it. It's the audience that chooses you, not you choosing the audience.

~Incidents
# 16
beginner
beginner
06/21/2004 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenSays who? You?

5 people say you don't.

If this were a presidental election and the state wasn't Florida where the states are counting ballots, then you would be [U]wrong[/U]. And if you say that the polls don't matter, then why did you have a poll? Face it, you won't make it to the big stage if you can't play consistently well and clean (which is the essential part of good technique). I never thought I'd see musicians who didn't think a great technique was important...Takes all kinds.

Still the sympathetic softie
~Incidents

So Incidents you have to distinguish between my last statement and the poll.
In the poll I asked, if you can also be a great player without beeing a master in technique, where I´m actually also not that sure, what the answer is.

And in the statement, I said that to sound great, you don´t have to be that good in technique.

Example for what I mean: Let´s take the Smoke on the water riff: Sounds great, at least for 99%. One of the 2 or 3 best rock riffs ever. But is it hard? No, of course not, everybody could play that riff after 3 minutes playing the guitar.

That´s just all what I want to say the whole time: You can touch people with your music without being technical, just with being musicial, but it doesn´t work the other way round.

But again, of course that doesn´t mean that you should quit trying to improve your technique to a very high level.
# 17
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/21/2004 5:34 pm
I know what you mean, I'm just trying to make sure some kid out there doesn't read the post and think to himself that technique doesn't matter, because it does. There is a reason why Steve Vai is respected by musicians but not by the commercial audience, and that's because alot of people think his music brings sensory overload, or its "musical masturbation", or whatnot.

But I do despise the fact that alot of people don't use their pinky finger, alot of people don't like music theory, and alot of people don't spend time with technique. Typically I've found this to be true with blues players, even famous ones (Dave Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix). Jimmy Page really could have cleaned up his technique, and I would've been much more of a zep fan.

~Incidents
# 18
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
06/21/2004 6:41 pm
I'll briefly offer my 2 cents on the subject and justify why I voted 'no' on the question.

First off, I'm a great fan of tons of instrumental guitar virtuosos, including Tony McAlpine, Satch, Vai, Shawn Lane, Michael Romeo, Adam Fulara, Rusty Cooley....the list goes on. For that matter, I also consider myself as a guitarist to have pretty good technique and I certainly advocate that technique is important in and of itself.

Having said that, I still voted 'no' because I think that you don't necessarily have to have great technique to be a great guitar player. My example would be SRV. I think SRV was an amazing guitarist and I enjoy his music everybit as much as, say, Steve Vai. SRV had great tone, good clarity, and executed his solos with grace, tastefulness, and he even had some speedy chops here and there (despite all his solos being pentatonic).

Beginner: I think the problematic issue pertaining to your poll is your lack of clarity regarding 'great' guitar player. 'Great' is a very subjective word, and therefore you're going to get very inconsistent results. You need to define 'great' before the question really makes sense.
# 19
TheWizard
TheWizard
06/21/2004 8:06 pm
[QUOTE=mc9mm]Of course you can.

dude I strongly disagree

unless your talking about classical guitar in which there is clearly a right and wrong way to play

but just play whatever way is most comfortable for you
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.